a "Gradient+" suggestion

Since I don't know the first thing about writing plugins, I thought I would ask my question here to see if any programmer who would find this sort of plugin useful could design it.

So here's my idea. I may be somewhat lazy in my aim here since I know there are techniques like creating a selection and then filling it with whatever gradient, but I have some ideas on adjusting gradients once you apply one. I'll start with the :LinearGradient: and :LinearReflectedGradient: . Once you set one of these, I'd love to have the tool to bend lines as in the :LineCurveTool: tool to bend the core line of the gradient and so create a curved gradient.

My other idea involves the :RadialGradient: and :DiamondGradient: . Once I select the size of my initial gradient, I'd love to click and drag the middle of the gradient once again like the :LineCurveTool: tool and be able to grab and bend points along it to create a curved radial or diamond gradient. I picture the old spraypaint tool from the original mspaint.

I know some of these effects can be achieved with :GaussianBlur: or dropshadow on a line, but I feel like this tool could be useful if it's fesible to code. Maybe I'm just trying to oversimplify. Feel free, by the way, to hit me for using the word "gradient" 8 times.

galactic_military_sig2.png

Since I don't know the first thing about writing plugins, I thought I would ask my question here to see if any programmer who would find this sort of plugin useful could design it.

So here's my idea. I may be somewhat lazy in my aim here since I know there are techniques like creating a selection and then filling it with whatever gradient, but I have some ideas on adjusting gradients once you apply one. I'll start with the :LinearGradient: and :LinearReflectedGradient: . Once you set one of these, I'd love to have the tool to bend lines as in the :LineCurveTool: tool to bend the core line of the gradient and so create a curved gradient.

My other idea involves the :RadialGradient: and :DiamondGradient: . Once I select the size of my initial gradient, I'd love to click and drag the middle of the gradient once again like the :LineCurveTool: tool and be able to grab and bend points along it to create a curved radial or diamond gradient. I picture the old spraypaint tool from the original mspaint.

I know some of these effects can be achieved with :GaussianBlur: or dropshadow on a line, but I feel like this tool could be useful if it's fesible to code. Maybe I'm just trying to oversimplify. Feel free, by the way, to hit me for using the word "gradient" 8 times.

@Ash - Thank you :) It's always nice to receive validation from one of the greats. (edit: and I don't say that lightly)

@Simon Brown - You're right. I think you'd have to use the center drag technique in the separate window to make the line (for the :DiamondGradient: and :RadialGradient: .) As for the anchor points along the line, you could have separate X, Y adjustments (sliders or whatever) to tell the anchors how and where to bend the line. Conceivably, the UI may not be too long.

@Ash - Thank you :) It's always nice to receive validation from one of the greats. (edit: and I don't say that lightly)

@Simon Brown - You're right. I think you'd have to use the center drag technique in the separate window to make the line (for the :DiamondGradient: and :RadialGradient: .) As for the anchor points along the line, you could have separate X, Y adjustments (sliders or whatever) to tell the anchors how and where to bend the line. Conceivably, the UI may not be too long.