transparency

Howard MAthieson

I am using Paint.net in conjunction with a mapping application. IT is a basic mapping application and does not map multiple layers. What I would like to do is have a base map and add layers on top and still see the underlying layers. Subsequent maps can be set so a solid background colour can be substituted. In a "popular" but unnamed commercial package a background eraser can accomplish thetask. I want to remove the background colour but retain the data of the subsequent layers.(proportional circles)

Thanks Howard Mathieson

hmathieson@shaw.ca

I am using Paint.net in conjunction with a mapping application. IT is a basic mapping application and does not map multiple layers. What I would like to do is have a base map and add layers on top and still see the underlying layers. Subsequent maps can be set so a solid background colour can be substituted. In a "popular" but unnamed commercial package a background eraser can accomplish thetask. I want to remove the background colour but retain the data of the subsequent layers.(proportional circles)

Thanks Howard Mathieson

hmathieson@shaw.ca

..is have a base map and add layers on top and still see the underlying layers.

Each new layer you add is, by default, transparent when it is added. If you draw an arrow on a transparent layer it will appear to float over the underlying layer(s).

If you also wanted the arrow to be partially see through then this can be achieved by changing the new layers opacity.

1. open your base image/map in PDN

2. add a new layer :AddNewLayer:

3. double click the layer name in the LAYERS window.

4. move the opacity slider to lower the opacity (= increase transparency)

Anything you draw on the new layer will be partially transparent so the background map will show through.

..is have a base map and add layers on top and still see the underlying layers.

Each new layer you add is, by default, transparent when it is added. If you draw an arrow on a transparent layer it will appear to float over the underlying layer(s).

If you also wanted the arrow to be partially see through then this can be achieved by changing the new layers opacity.

1. open your base image/map in PDN

2. add a new layer :AddNewLayer:

3. double click the layer name in the LAYERS window.

4. move the opacity slider to lower the opacity (= increase transparency)

Anything you draw on the new layer will be partially transparent so the background map will show through.