Chrome/Metal Cylinder Help: Shape 3D and Specular Tuts?

AJ0424

Hi,

I am really quite new to pdn and am looking for a comprehensive tutorial on making cylinders metallic/chrome.

I have found a few tutorials (listed) that have helped with how to make the cylinders and I know that I can used diffuse and specular to make the necessary highlights but I can't find a step by step on how to do this. I can make the cylinder but I am having trouble with the metallic finish. The result I am looking for is in Wither's reply (second forum link).

I have already looked at:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27073&hilit=cylinder

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21419 (this includes the result I want)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24082&hilit=specular

Can anyone point me to an existing tutorial or give me a few pointers on using specular?

Thanks!

AJ

Hi,

I am really quite new to pdn and am looking for a comprehensive tutorial on making cylinders metallic/chrome.

I have found a few tutorials (listed) that have helped with how to make the cylinders and I know that I can used diffuse and specular to make the necessary highlights but I can't find a step by step on how to do this. I can make the cylinder but I am having trouble with the metallic finish. The result I am looking for is in Wither's reply (second forum link).

I have already looked at:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27073&hilit=cylinder

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21419 (this includes the result I want)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24082&hilit=specular

Can anyone point me to an existing tutorial or give me a few pointers on using specular?

Thanks!

AJ

Ok first thing you have to know when you're drawing metal, is that you only draw the reflections or only the lighting, but because metal is very reflective there is a lot of constrast, try using a black/white gradient and draw a few reflective gradients on top of it using a fully transparent secondary color, experiment with the value, but stay in the black, grey, white area, you'll start to find a metallicish look, go for light colors mostly. Here's an example, look at the color window.

th_voorbeeld.jpg

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

Ok first thing you have to know when you're drawing metal, is that you only draw the reflections or only the lighting, but because metal is very reflective there is a lot of constrast, try using a black/white gradient and draw a few reflective gradients on top of it using a fully transparent secondary color, experiment with the value, but stay in the black, grey, white area, you'll start to find a metallicish look, go for light colors mostly. Here's an example, look at the color window.

th_voorbeeld.jpg

yhsjjie.png

[edit]You found the Chrome101 tutorial - I need to read more carefully :oops: [/edit]

[edit]You found the Chrome101 tutorial - I need to read more carefully :oops: [/edit]

No Ash, but I just like gradients better, it gives you more control.

yhsjjie.png

No Ash, but I just like gradients better, it gives you more control.

yhsjjie.png

Ash,

Nothing is wrong with your tut - it is what I am currently using. Where I am running into trouble when I move from using a 2D shape to a 3D shape. I can make my cylinder with Shape 3D but I get stuck when I try to make it metallic. I get some highlighting following your steps but nothing like the results at the bottom of the Chrome 101 tut.

If it can be done with your tut, then I am making a noob mistake somewhere (not hard to believe at all) and the Chrome 101 tut - at least Wither's notes - aren't step by step enough for someone as new as me. I'll just keep playing away and see what I can come up with but I welcome any tips!

Thanks again!

AJ

Ash,

Nothing is wrong with your tut - it is what I am currently using. Where I am running into trouble when I move from using a 2D shape to a 3D shape. I can make my cylinder with Shape 3D but I get stuck when I try to make it metallic. I get some highlighting following your steps but nothing like the results at the bottom of the Chrome 101 tut.

If it can be done with your tut, then I am making a noob mistake somewhere (not hard to believe at all) and the Chrome 101 tut - at least Wither's notes - aren't step by step enough for someone as new as me. I'll just keep playing away and see what I can come up with but I welcome any tips!

Thanks again!

AJ

My tut is a base, you can have lots of control after by using Curves/Curves+.

However, sometimes it doesn't always look good/realistic when one makes thing over complex. (ie. Chrome.)

There is no need to worry about the before S3D image, most settings needed can be done in S3D.

As you can also see from this last edit by Wither.

Edit: As I've learned more of chrome and how Shape3D works... my contribution to this tutorial is meaningless. The best way I've found is to leave it light grey with your specular highlight set to anisotropy... Of course, this is all subject to opinion. Chrome is a fun beast to master, mainly because there are countless ways to look at it.
The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

My tut is a base, you can have lots of control after by using Curves/Curves+.

However, sometimes it doesn't always look good/realistic when one makes thing over complex. (ie. Chrome.)

There is no need to worry about the before S3D image, most settings needed can be done in S3D.

As you can also see from this last edit by Wither.

Edit: As I've learned more of chrome and how Shape3D works... my contribution to this tutorial is meaningless. The best way I've found is to leave it light grey with your specular highlight set to anisotropy... Of course, this is all subject to opinion. Chrome is a fun beast to master, mainly because there are countless ways to look at it.
The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]