light and shadow

Xander_Lyon

I havent been working with pdn long but i was happy to see the shape3d lighting effects. I've tried to follow previous advice to other people and "search" for my answer, but would a plug-in be fesible to basically use just the lighting tool from shape 3d to light an image while at the same time setting a shadow behind it? I think most light schemes use some kind of blur and glow combination but with multiple images on the screen it would be nice to set a single, simple light source (including direction, distance, strength, etc). The shadow I don't understand at all how to make beyond drop shadow. That has to be simple, I know, but I haven't found it on the boards yet. I know I'm rambling at this point so hopefully one of you all-stars can point me in the right direction.

galactic_military_sig2.png

I havent been working with pdn long but i was happy to see the shape3d lighting effects. I've tried to follow previous advice to other people and "search" for my answer, but would a plug-in be fesible to basically use just the lighting tool from shape 3d to light an image while at the same time setting a shadow behind it? I think most light schemes use some kind of blur and glow combination but with multiple images on the screen it would be nice to set a single, simple light source (including direction, distance, strength, etc). The shadow I don't understand at all how to make beyond drop shadow. That has to be simple, I know, but I haven't found it on the boards yet. I know I'm rambling at this point so hopefully one of you all-stars can point me in the right direction.

The reason 3-d shape can shadow and light is because it shadows specific parts and then basically folds the image into a shape(im pretty sure). I think making this plugin would be hard becuase it would have to recognize the front and back of your image? and most images dont even have depth >.

The reason 3-d shape can shadow and light is because it shadows specific parts and then basically folds the image into a shape(im pretty sure). I think making this plugin would be hard becuase it would have to recognize the front and back of your image? and most images dont even have depth >.

You know what? You're exactly right. A light/shadow plug-in would have to recognize 2d objects as 3d so it would know where to start the brightest spot on an object. Oh well, the veterans seem to know how to handle light and shadow pretty well. I'll just have to see how they do it.

You know what? You're exactly right. A light/shadow plug-in would have to recognize 2d objects as 3d so it would know where to start the brightest spot on an object. Oh well, the veterans seem to know how to handle light and shadow pretty well. I'll just have to see how they do it.

Directional lighting? Have a look in this direction: viewtopic.php?p=171879#p171879

Directional lighting? Have a look in this direction: viewtopic.php?p=171879#p171879

I have those plugin, but I don't understand how to work those. When I do, it renders the canvas completely grey, and I have no idea how exactly to work those. Most plug-in authors give steps on how to use it, but this one did not. I see potentials with these, but have no idea what to do with it.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

I have those plugin, but I don't understand how to work those. When I do, it renders the canvas completely grey, and I have no idea how exactly to work those. Most plug-in authors give steps on how to use it, but this one did not. I see potentials with these, but have no idea what to do with it.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

anyone has an idea of how difficult it would be to program? The plug-in would have to be able to recognise objects, know the shape of them, the distance to the light source and more. Nearly impossible

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

anyone has an idea of how difficult it would be to program? The plug-in would have to be able to recognise objects, know the shape of them, the distance to the light source and more. Nearly impossible

yhsjjie.png

Yeah. It takes 3-D modelers with hundred-thousand-dollar lighting packages months to make it work, and they have reference shots. Free program doing it by guess? HA.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah. It takes 3-D modelers with hundred-thousand-dollar lighting packages months to make it work, and they have reference shots. Free program doing it by guess? HA.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

what if you defined the areas?

Can plugins prompt things?

You could like choose the type of selection(circle, lasso, square) and then it would prompt like a medium spot, and a show angle or something idk >.<

what if you defined the areas?

Can plugins prompt things?

You could like choose the type of selection(circle, lasso, square) and then it would prompt like a medium spot, and a show angle or something idk >.<

You may as well do it by hand if you're going to do that.

Just add a layer, color the areas with white or black, blur, then play around with blend modes.

You may as well do it by hand if you're going to do that.

Just add a layer, color the areas with white or black, blur, then play around with blend modes.

Yeah i guess your right, im still wondering if plugins can prompt things though.

And maybe it would be a good learning tool.

Yeah i guess your right, im still wondering if plugins can prompt things though.

And maybe it would be a good learning tool.

Yeah, plugins can prompt things. As a matter of fact, most of them have to.

Yeah, plugins can prompt things. As a matter of fact, most of them have to.

It is possible, just nobody would want to do it, it's way too complicated, even if you selected the area, it would still have to somehow know the shape, which is usually defined by lighting, I mean you would spend more time coding then it would save time from users and for such complicated codes it would take 1 min. (rough estimating) to run.

yhsjjie.png