FileType access consistency vs ease of installation?

I'm currently working on code for the next version of CBM that will move to using Paint.NET FileTypes to load brushes rather than those based on a custom interface to allow extensibility without creating a new API. However, CBM also supports GIMP brushes and i'm not sure of the best way to implement this. I can currently see several options:

• [*:1hhpomen]Distribute the DLL with CBM as a seperate file. This has the advantage of keeping supported formats consistent and also allows users to open GBR files outside of CBM. However, it might be confusing for newbies to know where to put each file, although this effect would be diluted by the inclusion of the installer.
    [*:1hhpomen]Distribute the GBR format as a seperate plugin. This would allow users to choose whether they even want GBR support and it would also allow me to work on this plugin separately, I could even decide to GPL it if I no longer had the time to work on it. However, the GBR support seems specific to CBM and users would be forced to hunt to find what should be (in my mind) a core feature.
    [*:1hhpomen]Inject the GBR FileType into the FileTypes CBM scans. This would keep everything together and avoid confusion. Although it would prevent users from using GBR in Paint.NET and sacrifice consistency.

Which of these would be the best option?

KaHuc.png

I'm currently working on code for the next version of CBM that will move to using Paint.NET FileTypes to load brushes...

What do you mean? Having the FileType plugin copy the file into the PdnUserFiles dir? Rick's not going to go for that.

A FileType plugin's sole purpose is to enable saving and loading an image from and to Paint.NET.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

[*]Inject the GBR FileType into the FileTypes CBM scans. This would keep everything together and avoid confusion. Although it would prevent users from using GBR in Paint.NET and sacrifice consistency.

I have no idea what you mean by that

xZYt6wl.png

Yes.

Besides, not everyone who uses Custom Brushes needs to be able to edit GIMP brushes, and not everyone who wants to edit GIMP brushes needs Custom Brushes. Keep separate things separate.

xZYt6wl.png