Suggestions to "even" lighting across a picture

Have some photos of outdoor murals, and the problem is that you generally have a much lighter side and a darker side. I'd like to "even" out the lighting, particularly where there is a big difference. How do y'all handle this? I was thinking of adding a layer and doing a gradient, but that seems to overdo it (plus sometimes the light isn't exactly aligned right/left).

i have an idea 'bout what u mean, but i'm not really sure this woult work:

duplicate the layer with the picture, invert the intensity on one layer and change the layer blending mode on the top one. lighten or darken should doo the trick. ...i think

redsig.png

...I was thinking of adding a layer and doing a gradient, but that seems to overdo it (plus sometimes the light isn't exactly aligned right/left).

This is what I would have tried. You know you can use the nubs to shift the gradient around right? (therefore alignment shouldn't be too much of a problem :wink: ). Try lowering the opacity of the gradient layer to lower the severity of the effect.

That's what the Shadow hightlight recovery plugin is for.

Search for it.

I did search for it, and the return was five threads where it is discussed, but no links to the actual plugin. Is it part of another package, or has it been withdrawn?