Band Guy Needs NEWB Help adding text over an image!

UMT

I hope I'm not irritating anyone but I'm a NEWB with graphic arts type software and, of course, PAINT...

Here's my situation: I am under the gun to get a new band logo together. I have a JPG image where I've done some editing as part of my logo..... and it is fine. I need to 'superimpose' the name of the band over this image and my logo will be complete. I'm assuming that SOMEHOW, I can do this with the 'layers' function. I've done a small amount of reading and a lot of playing with the software but need some help as I seem to be missing something and I'm running out of time. There are GIGS to be played!

Can someone layout the steps I need to take to get this project done? Don't forget, I'm a NEWB! Also, a bunch of Thanks in advance if you can help!

1. Create a new layer with this icon in the layers window: :AddNewLayer:

2. Make sure this layer is on top of all the others with the layer up/down arrows in the same window.

3. Click on the text tool icon (in the toolbar) :TextTool:

4. Click on your image where you want the text to appear and begin typing.

5. Alter the font, size & other settings by changing the font name, size, etc..., in the text tool bar (should be just under Image & Layers menus).

oh and...,

6. Alter your post title so it reflects more accurately your inquiry - and do it quickly before someone sees!

6. Alter your post title so it reflects more accurately your inquiry - and do it quickly before someone sees!

Oh, I'll be alright now. ;)

UMT: It's always a good idea to check out the rules of an online community when joining to make sure you mesh right in. Ego Eram Reputo was referring to our [rule=6]Rule #6[/rule] which mandates descriptive thread titles. This is to help us better help you - Paint.NET gets quite a few users who are new to graphics software, so many of the questions those users have could fall under the "NEWB Help" category. Using titles with a little description of the problem in them lets everyone know right from the thread list whether or not they know enough on the subject to help out, instead of having to enter each one and diagnose what kind of answer the question needs.

That being said, it's always possible someone new to graphics simply doesn't know under which specific category a question would fall. Since I'm a nice guy, I've edited the title to something more akin what we'd like to see, instead of locking the thread as The Rules warn - assistance should come before administration (though the dictionary may say otherwise), and a locked thread doesn't do any good if you need to ask clarification questions. However, make sure you check out [rule=top]The Rules[/rule] fully before posting again - you'll need to know them if you plan to continue on as an active member of the forum after this project.

Aside from that, the steps Ego Eram Reputo posted up there should get you well on your way. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions, and best of luck with the project. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

"That being said, it's always possible someone new to graphics simply doesn't know under which specific category a question would fall."

I think the above sentence describes my situation perfectly! But, I do THANK YOU and will try my best to be more accurate in the future.

Thanks!

UMT

EER,

Thanks for the pointers! I am making rapid progress with this and sure I'll have this project wrapped up this morning!

This software is 'too cool!'

Thanks to all on the forum for your patience!

UMT

Thanks to all on the forum for your patience!

You're welcome!

Don't forget that Paint.Net can access any TrueType font you have installed on your system. You can find loads more fonts at sites like http://www.dafont.com if you're looking for that "special touch" to add to your logo.