Could we get Clear History back?

Kaiser Yoshi

I've had six "out of memory" crashes (or so I assume; P.N randomly closing with no error message and no pdncrash.log when I make a complex selection with the Magic Wand sounds like out of memory to me) since Clear History was removed, and all of them occurred while I had a lot of unsaved changes. These crashes never happened when Clear History was available, since I could free up a ton of space by getting rid of the thousands of Pencil entries I create while spriting, and this is doubly good because sprite work is the most royal pain in the world to lose from a crash. I don't even know what chain of logic you guys were following that convinced you to take it out in the first place. Honestly, I really can't find a justifiable reason not to have it. o_0

Please, think of the sprites!

How big is the image you are working on? And how many layers dose it have?

I have experienced a few crashes if I make a drawing that is less then 15% when in full view on my screen. But I guess that is asking a loot anyway. :wink:

I remember that the argument for removing the clear history was that it doesn’t use very much memory. And Rick would rather work on the general memory usage.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

See this thread here. This should adequately explain why the Clear History feature was taken out.

I also seem to recall having another discussion about this feature, one which I was a part of. Can't find it though, so this will have to do.

I also seem to recall having another discussion about this feature, one which I was a part of. Can't find it though, so this will have to do.

It can be in one of the treads about one of the new versions of Paint.NET. It was discussed a bit when the feature was removed.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

How about you report this as a bug, which it is, rather than assuming you know the best way to solve the problem you're having? Wouldn't it be a better idea to have the developer - who knows the code inside and out - decide on a solution?

If the crash is happening with the magic wand, it's probably not related to your History's memory usage, which is minimal; history entries are disk-backed.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I don't even know what chain of logic you guys were following that convinced you to take it out in the first place.

Removing the button was quite logical, since its inclusion in the first place was a short-term crutch for the memory usage problems of the History window itself. Which has since been fixed.

You don't need the button. Just because your computer is crashing does not mean that you were running out of memory, or that a Clear History button would have "saved" you. Stop thinking that you need to manage the computer's memory, and stop making blind assertions about the cause of crashes.

If you really think it's memory related, spend $5 and upgrade it. Problem solved.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg