simple task - very new person

I have absolutely no idea how to use this software, and I"m not a

software person - I have a simple task. I want to convert jpg to

another format and can't figure out how to do that.

I have not downloaded the softward yet because I'm not sure this is

the appropriate software to do that with. It sound a little more too

complex for the task at hand -

(I would recommend changing your title to something a little more descriptive, as stated in the Forum Rules. While you're at it, I would recommend you read the rest of the Rules as well. ;))

Paint.NET can do this, but if conversion is all you need, you're right that it's overkill to a certain extent. You can use a website such as this one to convert images. To use it, simply select the type of image you wish it to give you in the drop-down menu, hit "Select format", and then use the Browse button below it to find the image you want to convert. Then hit the button to convert.

Photobucket Sucks!

I want to convert jpg to another format and can't figure out how to do that.
Open up the file, proceeding then to File > Save As > Save as type dropdown menu. Does this not suffice?
I have not downloaded the softward yet because I'm not sure this isthe appropriate software to do that with.
You should, even if this isn't the right software for this particular task, another project may come along that requires a simple, fast, and free graphic editor. Paint.NET ticks those three criteria ;).
(I would recommend changing your title to something a little more descriptive, as stated in the Forum Rules. While you're at it, I would recommend you read the rest of the Rules as well. ;))
This recommendation is endorsed at the highest level.