***ADVANCED CRITIQUE*** - Read Rules First

david.atwell

epic epiphany, great air brushing, but imo i think you've overdone it. The skin just looks fake and plastic-y. I suggest toning the air brushing down so you still have some skin texture. Great work. KIU.

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my first creations, and I don't think I did too bad (for one of my first creations :weak smile:), but I could definitely do better. Any suggestions?

PrinceCaspian.jpg

Myfirstsig.jpg

"I thought that you said we were all quite mad?"
"Why yes, my very lovely dear, but not quite as mad as the Hatter."

Okay, let me see, the lens flare is overdone. Lower the opacity. I personally don't think you should be posting in the 'advanced critique' thread, rather you should start your own gallery. Otherwise, the colors contrast too much. 5.5/10

Lens flares definitely overdone. Foreground just too bright but I like your idea. I like your sig too. Love to see you start a gallery.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I would like to see the original picture just to see where you've started from. I agree with everyone else who commented, lens flare overdone. Also, the transition (I don't know what else to call it.) between the guy with the sword and the background isn't smooth. One more thing, the yellow gradient on the swordsman's left are and ends at about his hand doesn't look very realistic. The light(according to where the lens flare is.) is coming from the top left. Where it then hits the front part of his armor and continues from there, so then the sun must be in front of him and to his left, but then why does his face have shadows and why does the lens flare not matching?

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well for your current one I would have to see what are stocks and what isn't, because of what I can see so far, it's a background that isn't made in Paint.Net, and three different birds that are made in Paint.Net, and your name.

I like the mixture of colors, but its too plain.

Also, if you look very closely, you can see the beveled parallelogram that it's made up of. I like it overall, but from the looks of it, most of it could be done in a few minutes.

However... if that background were in Paint.Net, things would all be different.

"The truth is just an excuse for having a lack of imagination."

Photobucket sucks!

• 1 month later...

Your sig isn't using sig basics.

Obviously you are clearly trying for something different, but you still need to remember Focal point, flow, composition and depth.

The focal is hard to pick out because the text covers the whole sig, and therefore removes a clear focal. Remember (or google) the rule of thirds.

Example of a good Focal point. - notice where the main focal (face) is laced in the sig.

The flow is not terrible, but the text really ruins it. Remember that text needs to follow the flow just as a render or stock does.

Example of good flow. - all the effects flow in the same direction.

Composition in text sigs are hard. Try looking up some general typography tutorials (photoshop/gimp ones should be fine) to see how things are placed.

Example of good composition - Everything on the sig draws your eyes to the focal point, which is cleverly placed using the rule of thirds.

Depth. At the moment, it all looks very flat. Try making some of the wavy bit infront the text. Blur some background - some decent lighting always works well for me.

Example of good depth. - it looks very 3D, you can easily tell where the foreground, background and main areas all meet, yet are not flat.

[all sigs where made by me using paint.net, no ripping, thanks]

Edited by piratemonkeyfromkong

NMHsigtextless.png

It's so hard to make a sig that fits in the size requirements, *sigh*

My photobucket

Your sig isn't using sig basics.

Obviously you are clearly trying for something different, but you still need to remember Focal point, flow, composition and depth.

No, you don't. I 100% disagree with you. There are NO SET RULES for signatures.

E: And I just realized all of the sigs you linked to were yours. It cracks me up when a render sig artist who has never made anything 100% in Paint.NET says that a sig made mainly in Paint.NET is worse than yours (saying all of your sigs have focal point, flow, composition, and depth is a little overboard.)

Even your gallery's subtitle stated you thought you were very good. To me, it seems like you have little to no skill in Paint.NET actually making things from scratch. Although I agree that himself22's (or my) signature is not the best, it is because the text is aliased. Being that render sigs are the only thing you know how to make, please refrain from critiquing (and bashing) sigs that most (or all) of them were made in Paint.NET. You are a render sig artist. I like your *render sigs*. Saying someone's 100% Paint.NET sig lacks x and y and z is reasonable. Saying all of your sigs, which are render sigs, have that, is a little arrogant. Try making a 100% Paint.NET signature and see how hard it is. Now make it clear, I'm not bashing you or something like that, just reminding you the difference between making something from scratch and combining C4Ds, stocks, and renders. Thank you.

My sig or himself's sig?

You should be rating my sig.

Edited by csm725

guys, probably just me having a little rant, but if you want signature critique, can you do it in the rate the sig thread? can't we keep this thread for critiquing works that are actually in need of critique, not 'hey, i just pumped this out, what's wrong with it?'.

i would really like it if we could put this thread back to the way it was, no sigs, and just awesome art that could be in need of a fix, to see how advanced users would critique it, so you can improve the work.

Sigs go in the sig thread, that's what it was made for.

If i'm out of line, sorry, reprimand me.

Just my 2 cents.

(For those people who want to be clever, yes, i posted a sig several months ago to this thread, and kept it up. i'm sorry, i'm part of the same group, but my point still stands, i guess.)

Edited by cazaron

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

A number and critique are not the same thing.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Let's get things started.

Here is a mockup of my dream OS.

Inspired by Gaia09/10 suite.

No stock, no renders. 100% PdN...

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/201/3/a/Gaia10_OS_Mockup_by_csm725.png

Fullsize is 1900x2400....

http://www.deviantart.com/download/172101033/Gaia10_OS_Mockup___Fixed___by_csm725.png

New version...

Cazaron, I believe I fixed what you pointed out. I agree with both of them.

Edited by csm725
  • Upvote 1

It is really nice! Great no stocks were used. But, it is easy to see how it was all made. I suggest you make it more complex, even though there is not that much to add...however, you know what I mean. :)

A number and critique are not the same thing.

many people, at least, most of the regular members provide critique in the rate the sig thread. I guess i'm just being a ranter though. sorry.

CSM:

wow, for no stocks, it's very good. all the textures and glassy themes are spot on. i'm not too sure about the circular panel, it's a bit weird, not exactly to my taste, the clock is one thing i'm opposed to, it's not one of my choices of styles. but, your dream OS, not mine.

on a technical note, font choice and colouring is spot on, very good job on the balancing of colours. perhaps the 'start button' could use the same glass treatment. Name is nice too.

It is very well done, and i look forward to seeing the next mockup.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

it does! well done!

• 2 weeks later...

How much of it was made in Paint.NET? If it was the whole thing, brilliant! Very realistic, I would just suggest making the light source blend in more with the line. They look like two separate pieces.