Stereogram / Autostereogram Tutorial

Ego Eram Reputo

.... Lovely colours!

Admission time: I cheat like hell :D

Used MadJik's Random Shape Fill repeatedly to fill the canvas then Dents to distort it.

Next I tile the result across the canvas in 128 pixel strips (Echo plugin makes this easy - it's one of the Stereogram Betas, but Panelling would also work)

Finally I repeat dents.

If the tiled strips don't line up nicely, run Echo again and fiddle with the horsiontal offset, then repeat dents again.

• 1 month later...

I dont get how your supposed to see the image :?

Some people have a really difficult time crossing their eyes while retaining focus on the image but that is what it takes for one of the techniques that does not use optics.

/GregorS

• 9 months later...

Oh wow, this is amazing. I've got to try to make sense of the tut sometime and try for myself. :mrgreen:

Great work.

EDIT:

Tried one. ^_^

wow

Noticed a couple things whilst making it.

1. The backfilling is required because for every pixel you move the popout one way, it reverses its appearance the OTHER way (works on two planes - left/right and front/back. So you're actually making a DOUBLE sterogram, one in front and to the left, one behind and to the right [in the tut's moves]).

2. This is more easily noticable on not-very-well-tiled backgrounds like mine, but every stereogram has the image drawn onto the background (behind the popouts. See the "wow" that's stuck there? If you've got good eyes, you can see the ABC in the background of OP's sterogram. Faintly, but it's there). Any ways around this?

Edited by EXCELERATE

• 2 months later...
2. This is more easily noticable on not-very-well-tiled backgrounds like mine, but every stereogram has the image drawn onto the background (behind the popouts. See the "wow" that's stuck there? If you've got good eyes, you can see the ABC in the background of OP's sterogram. Faintly, but it's there). Any ways around this?

That's why you need to backfill a number of times for each element. You need to "fill" the holes to the left of the rightshifted element. These will be spaced across the image in strips the same width as the phase.

Rehosted images and added a PDF version.

• Upvote 2

Intriguing aren't they? People who can't view them must be awfully frustrated....

• Ego Eram Reputo featured this topic

Would be nice to include the 2 'dots', when they're there, I can allus see the image, , , ,

'Where's my plinth?'

As a focusing guide? Good idea! I might add that to the original tutorial. Thanks for suggesting it.

@Ego Eram Reputo If you plan on editing the tut can you remove the ref to "weave" I find it difficult to find that plugin in Ed's legacy pack of plugins. It looks like its only contained in a version that is long gone. It never made into his newer releases. Let alone whether it would work in the current version of Paint. B)

• Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Rewriting this tut is on my long list of projects. To be honest, I'd like to finish my plugin which largely automates the whole process. One day....perhaps when I'm retired ?

I'm sure Weave can be replaced by any number of other textures. Try my Woven Photo: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111916-woven-photo/

Today's update to this tut is to add a note about licensing. I'm formally releasing this tut under the CC-BY-SA license.

Creative Commons Licence This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

What does this mean? 

You may share and adapt the tut provided to provide attribution to me as the original author. You must also add the same license if you publish your remix. 

• Like 1