Can't uninstalle Paint.net

I'm trying to uninstalle and reinstalle Paint.net but each time I try i get this error message:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected

What should I do ?

If I understand you correctly, you can delete the Program Files folder with Paint.NET in it. First, just in case, hit Start > Run, and type C:/Program Files. (No period). Then scroll down until you see the folder entitled Paint.NET. (Again, no period.) Right click this folder and select Copy, then deselect the folder by clicking in the white space around the thumbnails in the Program Files folder. Paste the folder by hitting Ctrl+V. Find the folder named "Copy of Paint.NET" and rename it "PDN" so you know what it is. Then scroll up to the Paint.NET folder again and left click it and hit delete. Once all the files are deleted, you can reinstall Paint.NET from this website, but if you get this error again, then don't worry. You can still get your old Paint.NET version back by going to C:/Program Files and renaming the PDN folder to Paint.NET

Welcome to the forums.

Changed the text in the signature yay!

PDN gallery!

Well I've tried uninstalling Framework and reinstalling it, then I redownload Paint.net and I still get the same error saying:

a network error occurred while attempting to read from the file:

C:\Program Files\Paint.Net\Staging\PaintDotNet_1292799713.msi

Pls help me snif, this program rocks so much and I really need to use it for my studies ...

You can create the file yourself. Download Paint.NET and run the installer with the /createMsi option. Then on your desktop you'll have a folder with the MSI files for x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit). Rename the appropriate one to the name it's asking for, and put it in that directory.

This assumes that you had Paint.NET v3.36 installed -- otherwise you'll have to dig around to find the older version, and use /createMsi with it instead.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1. [*:13ejypoo] Download the Paint.NET installer at
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
[*:13ejypoo] Create a shortcut of this installer. (Right-click > Create Shortcut)
[*:13ejypoo] Right-click on the shortcut and add /CreateMsi at the very end of the Target : line
createmsi_properties.png
[*:13ejypoo] Run the shortcut.
[*:13ejypoo] createmsi_creating.png
[*:13ejypoo] createmsi_packagecreated.png
[*:13ejypoo] Rename the PaintDotNet.x86.msi file in the PaintDotNetMsi folder on your desktop as PaintDotNet_1292799713.msi
[*:13ejypoo] and put it in C:\Program Files\Paint.Net\Staging\ (if the directories doesn't exist, create them).
[*:13ejypoo] Reinstall Paint.NET.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

You can create the file yourself. Download Paint.NET and run the installer with the /createMsi option. Then on your desktop you'll have a folder with the MSI files for x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit). Rename the appropriate one to the name it's asking for, and put it in that directory.

This assumes that you had Paint.NET v3.36 installed -- otherwise you'll have to dig around to find the older version, and use /createMsi with it instead.

I think we finally have our solution for the staging file errors :)

• 3 weeks later...

that method almost worked for me except itll try and run the installer and it always comes up with the error: see image... althought I just noticed that Im getting the eroor when trying to remove the program that is appearantly still installed, even though the files have been deleted...

I click ok, and it tries it like 6 times before it comes up with the missing MSI file... which I made using the method you said... I do exactly what you tell me to and it still does not work...

26654_e8484a3ad5bfdc6b18262d5b8207475e

1. [*:ygpef6bw] Download the Paint.NET installer at
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
[*:ygpef6bw] Create a shortcut of this installer. (Right-click > Create Shortcut)
[*:ygpef6bw] Right-click on the shortcut and add /CreateMsi at the very end of the Target : line
createmsi_properties.png
[*:ygpef6bw] Run the shortcut.
[*:ygpef6bw] createmsi_creating.png
[*:ygpef6bw] createmsi_packagecreated.png
[*:ygpef6bw] Rename the PaintDotNet.x86.msi file in the PaintDotNetMsi folder on your desktop as PaintDotNet_1292799713.msi
[*:ygpef6bw] and put it in C:\Program Files\Paint.Net\Staging\ (if the directories doesn't exist, create them).
[*:ygpef6bw] Reinstall Paint.NET.

I've created the shortcut, but there's no opportunity to edit the location of the file. It's just solid i can't change it. What do I do? thanks.

:)