Would like to merge two images modifying colors that overlay

I have these images (the national flag of the Ukraine Ukraine.gif is the primary component, folds FlagFoldsCell1.gif (only one of ten cells shown here) is the modifier) that I would like to merge, with the 'folds' darkening the corresponding pixels in the primary. (I also have a version of folds without the flag pole, so that wouldn't be canceled out ... this version is just to show the relative positions of everything.) I have absolutely no graphics talent, and have just begun learning to use the basics of Paint.net. Perhaps the answer to my question lies in the (proprietary?) file format .pdn ... which I have not searched the manual for how to use the format. If my answer is simply "RTFM", I will do that ... but if what I need to do is not supported by Paint.net, I need to know that before I invest my very limited time in reading dry material.

If there is a user-friendly and layman's tutorial about the use of the .pdn format, I would appreciate a link to the thread. applause.gif

GooRooBanner.gif Gruntz! The brain-powered puzzle game from Monolith Productions, Inc.

This tutorial should help

you'll have to adjust each frame of the .gif however

Excellent! That couldn't be any more exactly what I am looking for, and I really appreciate that link. I just followed the link and saw the subject matter this morning ... will return after my tennis match to do an in-depth read, with side-by-side experimentation.

As to adjusting each frame ... I don't mind that at all ... I have done sixty cells:

• ten 'folds'
  • twenty two-stripe flags
  • thirty three-stripe flags

Still to do: thirty three-band flags ... and several combinations, such as are used in the flag of Oman Oman.gif. (I am trying to standardize on the 68X50 ten cell animations.)

So doing ten merges per flag is a breeze, compared to trying to manually add folds ... and having each set of folds be different from thos of another flag. Sad.gif

GooRooBanner.gif Gruntz! The brain-powered puzzle game from Monolith Productions, Inc.