Transparency instead of white in PNG

Hello.

On my first computer, when I delete a zone in a PNG file with the Delete key and I save it, the deleted part is transparent.

On my second computer, when I delete the same zone in the same PNG file and I save it, the deleted part is white.

The two computers both run Paint.NET v3.36.

Previously, my first computer behaved as my second computer but something has changed and I don't know what. I have tried to uninstall Paint.NET and to reinstall it to go back to default configuration but it doesn't change anything.

Can you please help me ?

Thank you.

Patrick.

Just use Auto. It'll only use 24-bit if all pixels are opaque. If there's any hint of alpha, it uses 32-bit. I'm honestly not sure why you'd ever want to specifically choose 24- or 32-bit :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

If you want to have a white background, then you can either:

1) save as 24-bit, which will default any transparent pixels as white; or

2) as ragingsuns pointed out, have a white layer underneath your image, flatten, and save with 'Auto' selected. This will have it saved in 24-bit.

Just use Auto [...] I'm honestly not sure why you'd ever want to specifically choose 24- or 32-bit :)
Personally, I like to have my awkward knickers on and purposely bypass clever features you build in.

;)