3D-Engraved Text

yellowman

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

//////////3D-Engraved Text\\\\\\\\\\

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In this tutorial we will learn how to create a 3D Engraved Text image like this:

Plug-ins needed for this tutorial are:

1-Alpha Mask ( Effects > Alpha Mask)

2-Drop Shadow (Effects > Stylize > Drop Shadow)

Other effects needed:

-Rotate / Zoom :RotateZoom: (Layers > Rotate/Zoom)

1-

-Open a new white color file with size of 1200 width by 600 height pixels

-Add a new layer and name it face then color it with a style you want ( I used Gradient tool from Tools list with white and gray colors and repeated it twice)

-Add another layer and name it text mask then type your word using large size black color fonts ( I used Steelfish Outline font style with size of 192)

-Align the text in the center

You will end up with something like this:

2-

-Apply Rotate / Zoom :RotateZoom: Effect on both face and text mask layers with the amounts you like to add some 3D-Effect to the work( I used 0.80x for the Zoom, 90.00 for Twist Angle and 60.00 for Twist Radius) as shown below in red arrows:

3-

In this step we will create an Alpha Mask for the text mask layer to use it as a pattern on the face layer to cut the text, If you are not familiar with the alpha masking technique then just follow these steps exactly:

- It is preferred using black and white colors for alpha mask procedure that's why we are using here a black text on a white background as we will see

-Turn off the face layer

-Flatten the image (the other two layers, the text mask and the Background ),Save the flattened image as PNG file type and name it mask , save it on the Desktop(or any folder in your computer you can remember it) leave the saving settings configurations on default, . Look at the Image below and do the things shown in red:

4-

after saving the image:

-Undo the flatten ,turn on the face layer and delete the text mask layer

-Select the face layer and apply the Alpha Mask plug-in on it, in the Alpha Mask window click on Browse button and open the mask file that we saved it in the previous step 3

-In the same Alpha Mask window, Remove the check from the box of Invert Mask option and check the box of Mix Alpha option, see the image below for help, seek the red arrows

5-

-Select face layer and open the Drop Shadow plug-in and apply the effect you like for the shadow (I used 0 for Offset X, 5 for Offset Y, 0 for Widening Radius, 5 for Blur Radius and black for Shadow Color) see the red arrows in the image below:

6-

-Repeat the Drop Shadow plug-in effect once again or twice as you like to get a darker shadow

-That's all, you will end up with this image below:

7-

You can add your own Effects to the image and a good background, I made some additions and got this Image:

Thank you for visit ,I hope you will enjoy it and be easy and helpful for you.

Below are some other images created basically using the tutorial above

SILVER

GOLD

10.png

Currently following it, just mentioning: rotate/zoom is not a plugin.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

Nice! I finally get the concept of how to mask.

one spot I did hesitate in your instructions is in step 3 where you tell us

-Turn off the face layer

-Save the resulted Image as PNG file type and name it mask save it on the Desktop(or any folder in your computer you can remember it) leave the saving settings configurations on default, flatten the Image. Look at the Image below and do the things shown in red:

took me a bit to figure that out. I finally figured out it meant

save the resulted flattened image as a PNG. I was only saving the one layer as my mask. smack my palm to my forhead. No wonder I could never do a mask properly.

thanks for the tut now I've just to figure out how to add this into my sword. LOL!

ciao OMA

This is a great, and well written tut, and will teach many on the power of alpha masking, and how to create some cool text.

IMO, i would change the title to "3D Cut-out Text". The result isn't really engraving, this is:

t2lmbwx0loglrgpnybd3.png

;)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

@oma, again its my language problem, I depended on your note and changed the phrase, I hope its more clear now ,thanks for your help.

:lol::lol::lol: don't depend on my language for that note. It would be like the blind leading the blind, sometimes my English phrasing isn't much better. I was just having a good laugh at myself for not being able to figure it out.

wouldn't it be easier to just make some text, select it with magic wand, go to the layer that the text will be engraved on, then delete the part in the selection? Great tut, anyways!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

wouldn't it be easier to just make some text, select it with magic wand, go to the layer that the text will be engraved on, then delete the part in the selection?
If you want edges that are :AntiAliasingOff: , then yes, but if you want :AntiAliasingOn: edges throughout the text then the method in the tut (alpha mask) is better. ;)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

@ pdnnoob , about your question yes absolutely you can use the Magic Wand to cut the text, but it is all about getting rid of the Aliasing ( rough edges) and thank you LFC4EVER for giving the correct and exact answer, actually the tutorial was in 18 steps and images most of them were on how to get clean smooth edges for the engraved text using the Magic Wand and some other plug-ins because truly I didn't want to involve in the Alpha Masking technique to keep the tutorial easy for every level but the procedure didn't work properly with some other Fonts especially the thin ones.And you can also use the Motion Blur plug-in instead of the Drop Shadow plug-in after duplicating the face layer, name it shadow , darken it almost to black and move it under the face layer, but make sure to put the Angle on -90 ( minus ninety) ,uncheck the Centered option and use a Distance between 5 to 10 in the Motion Blur window then duplicate the shadow layer for darker shadow to get best result.

Ok. First, let me say this is my first post. Second, thank you paint.net, I have learned SOO much. The issue I am having is surely basic, but I dont know how to repeat gradient? I have tried to do different layers, lighten, etc. But it doesn't seem to work. I know that a lot of times when you use a tool, it allows you to repeat the tool. But I am not finding this for gradient. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

If I were you I would resize all of the screenshots before the admin locks this topic up.

Ah...No.

1. Tutorials must have screenshots in almost every case.

-1a. Screenshots must be .GIF or .JPG files less than 800 pixels at their largest dimension.

If you are going to make remarks like that, make sure you have enough facts first to prove your point. . .

And if I might ask, how do you think they were breaking the rules? PM me the answer, so we don't spam up this guys thread.

@ FinallyHere..Your are very welcome to Paint.net and to this forum feel free to send any question about any think you need to learn about Paint.net and we all here gladly will help you.

About your question on how to repeat the gradient :

1-Choose the section you want to apply the gradient effect on it and set the Primary and Secondary to full opacity ( like in this image1 below i used red and white with %100 opacity for both colors and applied the Linear(Reflected) Gradient on my section -which is a rectangular shape- and I put the center of the white some where in the left half of my rectangular) then press Enter on your Keyboard to end the action.

2-on the same layer ,now change the red color transparency to full Transparency (100% Transparent) so that no color will show up this time just the white color, apply the linear(Reflected)Gradient again, this time the center of the white in the right half of my shape, see image2. then press Enter on your keyboard.

Note : to change the transparency of a color just slide the key of the (Transparency-Alpha) left and right in the colors window, I marked them with black arrows in image 1 and 2.

@pitos- That turned out a little blurry...maybe try it again? :P

codeembersig.png

-I may have not been here when you passed away, but you will be missed.-

Thanks ! Very nice effect. The tut is easy to follow and explains things very well and that's a plus for a rookie. I finally found the alpha mask plugin after quite a while of looking through the search. Wow the search returns over 700 entries ! I guess that means I'll be using it a lot. It's a very well written plugin because it does exactly as advertised. I tried both the invert and mix alpha on this piece. It really works great. One thing I found out right off the bat is that the font is very important. I tried several with little success because the black outline was too thin. Since I didn't have one that seemed to work right, I went with a solid black font and was pretty happy with it. I will be back at the free fonts website with this in mind however. I like the font in the tutorial and will no doubt download it now that I realize how important the thick outline really is. Anyway, this is what I came up with, I tried several things and threw in some stuff from another tutorial just for practice on those effects.

HCF_Metal_Indiana.jpg

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Thank you Possum Roadkill I tried many different styles of fonts and all worked well, if you want to make an outline to a text, use white bold text (see Verdana in the image bellow)and select the text using Magic Wand then add the outline to the text using Outline Selection plugin using black color, apply all this during step one then continue all other steps.

Thank you Possum Roadkill I tried many different styles of fonts and all worked well, if you want to make an outline to a text, use white bold text (see Verdana in the image bellow)and select the text using Magic Wand then add the outline to the text using Outline Selection plugin using black color, apply all this during step one then continue all other steps.

Thank you very much. I tried an outline on a font but I did it wrong. I think I understand now that you have explained it. I'll try it right now. This effect looks very hi-tech professional as if it were done with a high end 3-D imaging software. I really like it combined with a metallic finish, but at some point I'm going to tackle the clear glass tutorial and use this effect with that kind of finish. That will be very cool if I can do it. Thanks again for the tip on getting a better outline on the font. I see that as being critical to display the effect properly. Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Edited **

Thanks for the tip ! I gave it a try and this is what I came up with using a solid font and the Outline Object plugin. I also used the effect I learned in your 3D curved text on this honeycomb grid.

HCF_CUBE1_medium.png

Good work every one especially Possum Roadkill, Possum Roadkill the image is awesome but if you still keeping the .pdn file and didn't flattened the image yet just try to bring some transparency to the Glass box-like the edges-you can do that easily by using the Transparency effect just apply it to the layer that containing the box, to show the background through the walls also, but I like the image very much.

Good work every one especially Possum Roadkill, Possum Roadkill the image is awesome but if you still keeping the .pdn file and didn't flattened the image yet just try to bring some transparency to the Glass box-like the edges-you can do that easily by using the Transparency effect just apply it to the layer that containing the box, to show the background through the walls also, but I like the image very much.

I see what you mean, it looks more 3D'esque. In retrospect, there are a couple of things I wish I had thought of in the process of making this image. Making the boxes more transparent is one, maybe other colors than the blue, and also a cool background behind the honeycomb effect, like maybe a nice blue sky and clouds. I'll have to redo it at some point and try something different. Thanks for the tip, I like seeing the honeycomb through the boxes it looks more glass-like.

HCF_CUBE2_medium.png

I've been working on the 3D-Engraved Text effect a lot in the last few days and I have taken some of your suggestions and applied them to a logo I'm doing for our local message board. Here are a few of the ones I've done.

Dark_Magic_Logo1.pngDark_Magic_Logo10.png

Dark_Magic_Logo2.pngDark_Magic_Logo6.png

Dark_Magic_Logo9.pngDark_Magic_Logo_Curved5.png

What did you do to add the effects to make it look like metal? Like the silver rectangle one with the lava background. I want to make mine look like actual metal like that.

Excellent Tutorial !

It's exactly what I was looking & Most Timely, as I am in the middle of a large Texture Creation Project and you can see the effect I needed to have in the image posted here.

WSMagic_BelovedofHathor_Carved.jpg

The Egyptian Hieroglyph Cartouche says "WhiteStar Magic Beloved of Hathor".