New User question

Hi all. I am a VERY new user with Paint.NET, but I like it so much more than all of the others. I have what I am sure is a very easy question for someone who has played with this for a bit.

When I use the selection Box to select an object within a picture, and then attempt to move that object and place it so it overlaps another object, the background of the selected object isn't transparent, thus hiding more of the image than I want. How do I make the background of just the selected object transparent if I want to place it overtop other items in the same picture?

In Microsoft Paint, this is easily done by unchecking the option called "Draw Opaque" and then making sure the secondary color matches the background. But I can't find the option like this in Paint.NET.

Please help. And thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick response. This effectively gets rid of the white background, but when I try to place the object over another object, the checkered pattern covers up the second object.

I can make some screenies showing what the deal is if it might help anyone.

Thanks again.

Whew!.... Ok we are getting closer...

As suggested, using the magic wand works, but only partially. If the object I am selecting has multiple colors in it, the magic wand only selects one color. I can get around it by holding the Ctrl button down and then selecting each additional color, but that is TEDIOUS. Is there some way to select and object AND everything inside of it, rather than having to hold Ctrl down and selecting each different color?

And I got it working by creating a second layer and pasting the object into it as also suggested. Works good enough. I think it takes a few too many steps just to place an object in front of another within the same picture. MS Paint does it very good. But I believe the overall functionality is so much better with Paint.NET. I especially love the ease of rotating objects. So nice.

I found the entry in the help file covering the Magic Wand, specifically concerning color selection in advance use. I will read it real quick...

Thanks again.

And I got it working by creating a second layer and pasting the object into it as also suggested. Works good enough. I think it takes a few too many steps just to place an object in front of another within the same picture. MS Paint does it very good.

Paintdotnet is a simple and professional program. It's simplier than Adobe Photoshop but more professional than Paint.

sig6rj3.png