A few simple feature requests.

There are a few things that I miss from MS Paint that I think Paint.NET could do much better, and there are a couple things I think could be improved. As a programmer, I can think of ways to do this, but as I only know C# and not the C++ needed to create plugins, I've fallen short. Been using the software for a while and this is what would make it perfect, in my opinion:

- Spray Paint tool: Or air brush or whatever you might call it. I'm not up on the jargon, but if Paintbrush can do it in the glory days of 256 color (and now I feel old XD), working in 32-bit color can only improve it.

- Ability to determine points on a spline: I sprite, so when dealing with the Line/Curve tool, it can be annoying to adjust straight like it would be with just two points. Likewise, when I'm using it to digitally ink my hand drawings, four points is often just not enough. As a programmer, I really don't see how setting the number of points as a variable should be difficult to implement, allowing the end user to change the number based on need. Just stick a floor at two and a ceiling at something reasonable and off you go. The math to determine initial placement isn't all that hard. I can probably come up with a formula given the time and freedom from pressing amounts of work (like I currently have as a college student nearing completion) to help place them if they're added to an existing curve based on some sort of weighting system.

- Paletting functions would also be great for spriting. Currently, I use Graphics Gale to create a palette for my sprite, then eye drop it and work in Paint.NET. It would be totally great to be able to define a user palette and work from there. Otherwise, you're messing up the default palette and you might actually want to use that for other things. By allowing you to create palette files, you could also apply them to sprites easily for recolors and it would even allow for interesting possibilities for me as a programmer working on a game. Currently, the closest I have to this is a "Selective Palette" plugin, which simply bumps pixels over to a palette you've already defined with the plugin. It doesn't support palette-swapping, though, or actually working in a fixed palette. If nothing else, allowing you to switch out palettes in the existing window would be great.

I think with these few features, the product could blow the competition out of the water. Or at least make a good showing in versatility.

Once you use the line tool to draw a line you should notice 4 nodes on that line. If you use the right mouse button to adjust those nodes instead of the left mouse button, the line turnes into a bezier curve. This should give you MUCH more control over the shape of your lines drawn.

As for the spray can, look around the plugin forum for Simon's custom brush plugin. That should give you what you need.

As a programmer, I can think of ways to do this, but as I only know C# and not the C++ needed to create plugins, I've fallen short.

If you know C# grab a copy of Codelab and begin coding plugins! BoltBait has a number of incredibly useful tutorials and helpfiles on his website (follow the Codelab link in his sig - or my sig).

Popular Feature Requests <- Read. Now!

Spray paint is discussed to death, and the points on the line quite much also.

Plugins can be made in C++, C#, J#, VB, any .NET language essentially. No just C++. Get your research right.

And lastly, it's been possible to do palettes for several versions already.... just create them.

PaletteMenu.png

Not to be rude, but I did read that thread before posting and saw nothing specifically about the spray can or the points on the line. I suppose the spray can falls under custom brushes, but as I said, I'm not up on the jargon.

In terms of a palette, I was really hoping for a way to force it. You know, for palette swapping in images, making it so a certain pixel in a sprite is defined by a palette color, which I have yet to find a way to do with that option. On the other hand, I suppose if I really want to do that, there's probably other software out there with that kind of design specifically in mind.

But thank you all for your suggestions and information. Armed with this knowledge, I'll be able to work more productively.

• 3 months later...
Once you use the line tool to draw a line you should notice 4 nodes on that line. If you use the right mouse button to adjust those nodes instead of the left mouse button, the line turnes into a bezier curve. This should give you MUCH more control over the shape of your lines drawn.
Both the spline and bezier curves are great, but I've occasionally wanted the ability to create a smooth curve that is more complex than 4 points determines. I end up doing it piece-wise, and am limited because the first 2-3 points of each subsequent segment is constrained, in order to maintain a smooth transition. I know Gauss can be my friend here, but so would the ability to add (and remove) control points. Then I could write my name in cursive, by adding (and removing) control points.

As I write this, I realize that this probably should have a different subject line. I don't think it's a "simple" feature. :-)

Both the spline and bezier curves are great, but I've occasionally wanted the ability to create a smooth curve that is more complex than 4 points determines. I end up doing it piece-wise, and am limited because the first 2-3 points of each subsequent segment is constrained, in order to maintain a smooth transition. I know Gauss can be my friend here, but so would the ability to add (and remove) control points. Then I could write my name in cursive, by adding (and removing) control points.

As I write this, I realize that this probably should have a different subject line. I don't think it's a "simple" feature. :-)

What you may be looking for is a different program. Have you tried inkscape?

Once you use the line tool to draw a line you should notice 4 nodes on that line.
Both the spline and bezier curves are great, but I've occasionally wanted the ability to create a smooth curve that is more complex than 4 points determines.

Yes, thank you. Inkscape is pretty clever, and I'm sure I'll use it more in the future. But I am having different challenges there. I just started with it, so it's probably my ignorance. I've having trouble getting my objects to be overall constrained to a 1024x1024 px region. I know I can resize at the end, when I export to PNG, but that will move things ever so slightly, and at the moment, I'm going for pixel-width accuracy. For that reason, I prefer staying in PDN.

(As an aside, I would be very happy if the color-selection objects in PDN (and plugins) were standardized and as fancy as the one in Inkscape. Ironic--they're both open source programs, but the licenses probably preclude them from sharing code. The color wheel is awesome, and I love the way its color sliders preview the "color to be" if you were to move the thumb to that spot.)

mmm

Once you use the line tool to draw a line you should notice 4 nodes on that line.
Both the spline and bezier curves are great, but I've occasionally wanted the ability to create a smooth curve that is more complex than 4 points determines.

Yes, thank you. Inkscape is pretty clever, and I'm sure I'll use it more in the future. But I am having different challenges there. I just started with it, so it's probably my ignorance. I've having trouble getting my objects to be overall constrained to a 1024x1024 px region. I know I can resize at the end, when I export to PNG, but that will move things ever so slightly, and at the moment, I'm going for pixel-width accuracy. For that reason, I prefer staying in PDN.

(As an aside, I would be very happy if the color-selection objects in PDN (and plugins) were standardized and as fancy as the one in Inkscape. Ironic--they're both open source programs, but the licenses probably preclude them from sharing code. The color wheel is awesome, and I love the way its color sliders preview the "color to be" if you were to move the thumb to that spot.)

mmm

You're the first person to ever have figured this out on your own.... :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

... they're both open source programs ...
Paint.NET is no longer open source.
DOH! Of course--I knew that; I'd forgotten. Nonetheless, my comment about sharing (or re-using, I guess it would be) still stands. I.e., even if there were no technical challenges to PDN using Inkscape code for a common color-selector like the one in Inkscape, license issues might put the brake on it. But I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV or on the internet.

mmm