Rectangular selection has high CPU-usage

First, let me thank you for a wonderful program. I have a single issue:

When I make a large rectangular selection (e.g. Select All (Ctrl+A)), the CPU Usage climbs to >30% and stays there. This is annoying, because I often paste screenshots from the clipboard, and if I forget to close Paint.NET, it will keep using the CPU in the background.

Isn't it possible to paint the 'cycling' selection without draining the CPU? (Or stop the cycling effect, when the App looses focus?)

Best regards, Mikael.

Btw: This happens on Paint.NET 3.36 (and earlier). It is probably mostly noticeable on slower, single-core systems.

First, let me thank you for a wonderful program. I have a single issue:

When I make a large rectangular selection (e.g. Select All (Ctrl+A)), the CPU Usage climbs to >30% and stays there. This is annoying, because I often paste screenshots from the clipboard, and if I forget to close Paint.NET, it will keep using the CPU in the background.

Isn't it possible to paint the 'cycling' selection without draining the CPU? (Or stop the cycling effect, when the App looses focus?)

Best regards, Mikael.

Btw: This happens on Paint.NET 3.36 (and earlier). It is probably mostly noticeable on slower, single-core systems.

if I forget to close Paint.NET, it will keep using the CPU in the background.

Minimizing Paint.NET send the app in a "low-profile" mode. Notice that the title change from Untitled (100%) - Paint.NET ... to Untitled - Paint.NET ....

So that's basically what you suggest.

You can also remember to hit Ctrl + D when you paste a screenshot, if you use the Ctrl + V keyboard shortcut, the keys are very close to each-other.

Also, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that the next Paint.NET version is developed and re-factored with performance in mind, even in low-end, single core systems :)

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

if I forget to close Paint.NET, it will keep using the CPU in the background.

Minimizing Paint.NET send the app in a "low-profile" mode. Notice that the title change from Untitled (100%) - Paint.NET ... to Untitled - Paint.NET ....

So that's basically what you suggest.

You can also remember to hit Ctrl + D when you paste a screenshot, if you use the Ctrl + V keyboard shortcut, the keys are very close to each-other.

Also, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that the next Paint.NET version is developed and re-factored with performance in mind, even in low-end, single core systems :)

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Minimizing the app doesn't help much - it it easy enough to to deselect the selection (CTRL+D) - but I tend to forget it.

The CPU usage is excessive, and I really think it should be fixed - I just tested on my Core2Duo laptop, where I use ~60% CPU. Playing back a DVD movie (fullscreen) actually uses less CPU than animating the border.

Minimizing the app doesn't help much - it it easy enough to to deselect the selection (CTRL+D) - but I tend to forget it.

The CPU usage is excessive, and I really think it should be fixed - I just tested on my Core2Duo laptop, where I use ~60% CPU. Playing back a DVD movie (fullscreen) actually uses less CPU than animating the border.

He means this part :wink:

Also, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that the next Paint.NET version is developed and re-factored with performance in mind

He means this part :wink:

Also, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that the next Paint.NET version is developed and re-factored with performance in mind

I did read it :shock: - but I am not sure whether some general optimizations would help with this particular issue.

On my (old) computer Paint.NET is actually very fast and responsive - that is, except for the display of rectangular selections. Since I couldn't really understand why this should be so CPU intensive, I suspected that it might be some kind of bug, that the developers were not aware of. And, as I wrote, the CPU drain is actually even worse on my newer dual-core laptop.

If it will disappear as part of the general optimizations, this is of course good news. I just wanted to make sure the developers were aware of the issue. I could imagine other people being unable to understand why their computer becomes slower, when Paint.NET runs in the background - it certainly took me awhile before I figured out what was going on.

Regards, Mikael.

I did read it :shock: - but I am not sure whether some general optimizations would help with this particular issue.

On my (old) computer Paint.NET is actually very fast and responsive - that is, except for the display of rectangular selections. Since I couldn't really understand why this should be so CPU intensive, I suspected that it might be some kind of bug, that the developers were not aware of. And, as I wrote, the CPU drain is actually even worse on my newer dual-core laptop.

If it will disappear as part of the general optimizations, this is of course good news. I just wanted to make sure the developers were aware of the issue. I could imagine other people being unable to understand why their computer becomes slower, when Paint.NET runs in the background - it certainly took me awhile before I figured out what was going on.

Regards, Mikael.