Need help recoloring smooth border

queuewindow

So, I've been trying to recolor the white border in this image for a while now. The straight parts were easy, but the curves are giving me a headache. I want to change their color to match the straight parts while preserving their smoothness. I tried using the feathering tool but it blurred the line too much, even at its weakest setting. The color replacer tool gave me a jagged line. I even tried doing it by hand, one pixel at a time, but the curves turned out fuzzy :(

screenie-1.png?t=1233437313

Any tips? I can upload the original file if anyone is interested.

So, I've been trying to recolor the white border in this image for a while now. The straight parts were easy, but the curves are giving me a headache. I want to change their color to match the straight parts while preserving their smoothness. I tried using the feathering tool but it blurred the line too much, even at its weakest setting. The color replacer tool gave me a jagged line. I even tried doing it by hand, one pixel at a time, but the curves turned out fuzzy :(

screenie-1.png?t=1233437313

Any tips? I can upload the original file if anyone is interested.

Depending on the situation, a trick I like to do is to change the color of something by imposing a color over it with a different layer.

Let's say you have the subject on layer 1, make layer 2 an Overlay layer, color it in, and there you go. It helps if the subject you want colored is gray-ish.

I can't guarantee it'll work for this situation though. :\

Depending on the situation, a trick I like to do is to change the color of something by imposing a color over it with a different layer.

Let's say you have the subject on layer 1, make layer 2 an Overlay layer, color it in, and there you go. It helps if the subject you want colored is gray-ish.

I can't guarantee it'll work for this situation though. :\

Does an anti–aliased line via the Line tool not work? Perhaps at a width of 2–3px?

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Does an anti–aliased line via the Line tool not work? Perhaps at a width of 2–3px?

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Helio's method is best, but if you suck at using the line tool, then here's a flawless, and more accurate method.

Presuming your shape is on its own layer, i.e no background except the white outline:

Duplicate the shape layer. Turn the bottom one's visibility off. (little check-box in the layers window)

Adjustment > Curves, these settings:

14658_274233af58b8963940d5600fb29839a5

Effects > Object > Alpha Mask. No need to load a mask, just check both boxes, and hit ok.

Your shape should now be black with no outline.

Now you can simply, do Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast and make it lighter.

Then, Effects > Outline Object, you can outline it in any thickness, and color.

Thats how i would've done it. Hope it helped! :)

If you don't have the plugins.

Outline Object

[urlhttp]Alpha Mask[/url]

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Helio's method is best, but if you suck at using the line tool, then here's a flawless, and more accurate method.

Presuming your shape is on its own layer, i.e no background except the white outline:

Duplicate the shape layer. Turn the bottom one's visibility off. (little check-box in the layers window)

Adjustment > Curves, these settings:

Alpha Mask[/url]

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately the border is on the same layer as the rest of the image, so I couldn't apply the curves method. I'm trying to use the line tool, but I can't seem to get the line to line up with the border, especially around the arch at the bottom. I'm gonna try to do it by hand again unless someone else has any suggestions.

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately the border is on the same layer as the rest of the image, so I couldn't apply the curves method. I'm trying to use the line tool, but I can't seem to get the line to line up with the border, especially around the arch at the bottom. I'm gonna try to do it by hand again unless someone else has any suggestions.

you can try magic wand and afterwards feather a bit, it won't be very anti-aliased however.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

you can try magic wand and afterwards feather a bit, it won't be very anti-aliased however.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.