Crash when saving

bEPIK

I've had this exact thing (exact as in it looks the same after it crashes) happen to me a couple of times, but cannot reproduce it. Sorry about that.

Crash.png

If I remember correctly it doesn't happen if I've opened the save dialogue in that session successfully (but I'm not sure). There is no crash log.

I have a 7yr old computer so it is a bit slow. I don't know if that's it, but I would think that opening the save window shouldn't be particularly strenuous. Just to reiterate, it does not happen when saving, but happens when opening the save window.

I has stopped happening lately and I just did a rather massive (and time-consuming) picture for a school assignment, so all is well. But I thought I better let you know anyway

Do you have any video files in the save directory? Try moving them, and see if that helps.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Do you have any video files in the save directory? Try moving them, and see if that helps.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If you don't have any videos, or moving them doesn't solve it, try saving in a location other than the Desktop. I've had a few problems before (in Paint.NET and other applications) when trying to save, or some other action on the Desktop; saving in Documents rid those problems from me.

If you don't have any videos, or moving them doesn't solve it, try saving in a location other than the Desktop. I've had a few problems before (in Paint.NET and other applications) when trying to save, or some other action on the Desktop; saving in Documents rid those problems from me.

We are also having a similar Freeze whenever saving a file. I have Paint.net installed in at least three different PCs in our office trying to determine if its unique, but they all act the same. When saving any file, at the time the browse/naming dialog box opens, and at Save usually, P.N freezes for at least a minute when file type or file name field is used. The top border actually indicates "Not Responding". At first I closed the app loosing my work, but soon found that it will eventually recover. I don't recall this ever happening when I started using earlier versions. All PCs Win XP Pro, plenty of HDD & RAM. We develop apps using file Browse, naming, etc. and there is no inherent delay in any operations here in any PC.

Hope your updates to come can address this, its very frustrating.

We are also having a similar Freeze whenever saving a file. I have Paint.net installed in at least three different PCs in our office trying to determine if its unique, but they all act the same. When saving any file, at the time the browse/naming dialog box opens, and at Save usually, P.N freezes for at least a minute when file type or file name field is used. The top border actually indicates "Not Responding". At first I closed the app loosing my work, but soon found that it will eventually recover. I don't recall this ever happening when I started using earlier versions. All PCs Win XP Pro, plenty of HDD & RAM. We develop apps using file Browse, naming, etc. and there is no inherent delay in any operations here in any PC.

Hope your updates to come can address this, its very frustrating.

If I open a folder containing images from MS Paint or any other app, they display as expected, never a hesitation. (Is this related to the P.N open folder view never retaining my selected view? ie, Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, Details?) Lately, I open P.N using "Open with" on a file, as when I open P.N then browse for a file, it freezes when in the Open file dialog, I try to display List instead of the Thumbnail view that always appears.

If I open a folder containing images from MS Paint or any other app, they display as expected, never a hesitation. (Is this related to the P.N open folder view never retaining my selected view? ie, Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, Details?) Lately, I open P.N using "Open with" on a file, as when I open P.N then browse for a file, it freezes when in the Open file dialog, I try to display List instead of the Thumbnail view that always appears.

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem. it has happened several times but typically not every time..

i select save as.. and the explorer appears. as soon as i select any part of the explorer window i see that the application is frozen and not responding.

explorer defaults to my desktop where there are no videos or other pictures. i cant get to the point of selecting another folder instead of desktop.

this is incredibly frustrating since it crashes once my picture is done, then crashes so i have to do the whole thing over again.

like another user said, if save as works once during a session then it will keep working as best i can see. for this reason i now save as soon as i open PDN, thereby ensuring that it will save and not crash later. unfortunately i don't always remember to do this.

pack to MSPaint for now i guess :(
If you aren't even going to stick around to see if anyone can help, then I won't feel so guilty in saying...

Please don't necropost. [rule=11]Three months is the limit[/rule] before the topic is classified as 'dead', this has been almost eight.

If you require help, please start a new topic, where we'll be more than happy to extend the hand of help.

Topic locked