How to keep the canvas size ratio.

I am having trouble making a signature. First I choose the canvas size, 500 x 75, & make the

text:

sig_A_jpeg.jpg

I then make a new layer and insert the man:

palat_man.gif

but as soon as I do this the canvas size changes. I'm trying to "overlap" the man over

the box. Any help would be much appreciated. I may well be doing this all very wrong!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks for that tip but when I try to paste, from Edit in Paint (after copying man in file on my computer) the option to "paste in to new layer" is not highlighted (pale grey) :? Obviously I'm doing something wrong with the 'copy'.

Sorry to be so stupid - as this must be quite a basic proceedure.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Many thanks Chopperboad and Rick Brewster for the tips. I finally worked-out how to use the clipboard (2 steps).

However, I don't think I explained myself properly as to what I'm trying to do. I want the man to "overlap" the rectangular box - not for the man to go within it. I can get what I want by a couple of steps in a large canvas: see here:

http://www.practice1.zoomshare.com/files/intented_sigman.gif

but then, obviously, the end product is too large because of the canvas (and if I resize - it gets too small). Ideally I'd love to know what the very first steps are to begin the signature and then end up with a signature in the acceptable size.

Thanks for your patience :oops:

30b8T8B.gif

Many thanks for your suggestion - but I still can't get the hang of it that way :(

I've now tried another route, using line/curve around the object and then erasing/deleting.

See here: http://www.practice1.zoomshare.com/files/brush_outside.gif

Many thanks for the help everyone....... at least I'm learning all sorts of things in Paint as I

practice (bumble along) :lol:

30b8T8B.gif

Your canvas should be the height of the man and the width of the signature. Paste in the man on one layer, put the rest of the sig on another layer, or as many layers as it needs. Now, on each layer, select and delete the parts where you want it to be clear for the natural background to show through.

Just a thought but the way I would do it is start with the man and import or copy the other canvas in. I would first cut out the man save as a png so he has a transparent backgroud if he is not already. Like I said it is just a thought I don't know what size the images are that you are working with and it may still resize to something you don't want but it is a different way to come at it. Obviously if the one is 500 x 75 and the other overlaps the canvas size has to be bigger.

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

Many thanks ziz & Janettsue for your suggestions. Yes, I am discovering the importance of the "layers" and, at least, I now know to get the main image up first and then work around it. Lots of work for me ahead! :roll:

30b8T8B.gif