I have a big problem uninstalling!

Hi, I'm new, and I have a issue already.

I was trying to delete the original Paint.NET file folder I made without uninstalling the program. When I tried to download the file again, it said specifically: " There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A Program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I don't know what to do now, and I am angry that this was the only way I could color my pictures, and I just lost it.

You are so right Silverdragons.

I wrongly tried to install 3.36 having only MS Network 2 installed.

Subsequently went through Control Panel uninstall for 3.6 then installed MS NET Frameworks 3.0 3.0SP1, 3.5, and finally 3.5SP1.

Once more tried to install PaintdotNet and got a message similar to this:

Network Error: paintDotNet - 638731608.msi

OK - I can get by with 3.35 no problem, but now I am in a fix.

v3.36 did not back out of the installation properly so v3.35 refuses to install saying that I have a higher version in place.

We really should not have to run around trying tips and tricks and ideas and 'try this' in order to remove a reputable program.

If a program fails during installation it should be able to back out gracefully, failing that you should supply a piece of software to do the job for us.

At the very least it would be nice to have a utility that totally removes PDN - Please?

I am most disappointed seeing that I have been very happy with PDN up till now.

Luckily I have a portable version of 3.22 which works just fine.

btw in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21084

boltbait said that registry entries are not really necessary, if that is the case why bother with them in the installation??

Living in hope, donleavy

Just tried to uninstall 3.6 once more using revo uninstaller.

Over 350 registry entries found - Jesus.

Anyway Revo said that 3.6 was uninstalled.

Try again to install 3.5.

Weird 1. Windows Uninstaller said it was removing old installation - nah! I said

Weird 2. "Could not open Hkey-Local-Machine\Software\Classes\Paint.Net.1" and aborted.

How did 3.5 know that registry key was supposed to exist? or should 'open' have read 'create'?

wtf?

Is ANYBODY in authority going to give some meaningful answers on this thread?

Are you guys so busy developing bells and whistles that you cannot attend to the basic functionality of this program?

I am quite pissed off here, as a Computer professional of 25 years I have never seen such a blatent 'gung ho' fu attitude with the sole exception of Microsoft.

If anyone else is getting the same problem I can only suggest that you turn to Gimp or Photoscape, both of which are free, neither of which require MS Net.framework and both of which are available in portable versions.

I suggest that PaintDotNet could well be heading for some very nasty reefs.

I've been using Paint.NET for over three years and I've never had a problem. I've installed, uninstalled, and upgraded hundreds of times (including betas). Your rant is somewhat misplaced, and I suggest that you have some patience -- especially since, by and large, there is no "you guys," just one man with a full-time job.

So, calm down, you'll get your answer. :-) I understand the frustration, but it's really misplaced.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I install Paint.NET probably several times every day, on multiple computers. No troubles at all ever. You're running into a weird corner case that Windows Installer is barfing on and I've never been able to reproduce it over the years. Which totally sucks because then I'd be able to figure out what's going on and fix it somehow.

Did you follow every item in the big sticky thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854 . Yes I mean every one of them, even if you think it might not apply.

You should never go spelunking into the registry to delete stuff like that. It will not help. It will only put your system into a more disoriented state and make cleanup or reinstall more difficult.

I'm not sure where you're inferring this "gung ho fu attitude" from. The sticky at the top of this section of the forum has helped out almost every user who has followed through it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I install Paint.NET probably several times every day, on multiple computers. No troubles at all ever. You're running into a weird corner case that Windows Installer is barfing on and I've never been able to reproduce it over the years. Which totally sucks because then I'd be able to figure out what's going on and fix it somehow.

Did you follow every item in the big sticky thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854 . Yes I mean every one of them, even if you think it might not apply.

You should never go spelunking into the registry to delete stuff like that. It will not help. It will only put your system into a more disoriented state and make cleanup or reinstall more difficult.

I'm not sure where you're inferring this "gung ho fu attitude" from. The sticky at the top of this section of the forum has helped out almost every user who has followed through it.

What Rick is saying is correct. I've had the problems with staging errors before, and following those steps will work.

Also, Rick, I think the staging errors may be down to due the staging files being saved as the correct file name, but (possibly) it created the wrong file or something got corrupted along the way.