Skin tones?

wiffie

Thanks, I tryed that and the faces are still very washed out, white looking. the clothes have nice color and so does everything else. Just the faces are washed out.

1aandversionb.png

adjust the levels input and output then highlight and shadow recovery.

its about as best as I can go, in a quick one pass adjustment. how important is it ? you could always cut out each person for separate layer and do the levels input /output and hightlight and shadow recovery different settings each person. You know their true skin hues better than we do. I seem to think the fellow on the far right looks fine in original, when I did this I did it all one layer so now he looks a tad reddish.

If you decide to do a bang up job on it I'd cut out the background completely that overhead light in the background and the ceiling beams are really distracting.

ciao

You can't get back colour information that isn't there. To me it looks like parts of the photo are 100% white. You cannot easily fix that picture.

Best way to fix this (for future pictures) is to fix your camera. Pictures taken by cameras overexpose (go bright white) easier than the go completely black. So set you camera so that it takes pictures darker than you would want and then touch up the photo in paint.net.

That's why I never use flash, it makes the picture too white, and white data is pretty much irretrivable. Instead I adjust the ISO setting, whilst that adds more noise that can be smoothed out easier in post-production. Also the aperture could be adjusted, and if you have a steady enough hand you could reduce the shutter speed. Depends how good your camera is. Hope that helps for future photos, as for that one, all I could suggest is curves, like people have said before.

1aandversionb.png

adjust the levels input and output then highlight and shadow recovery.

its about as best as I can go, in a quick one pass adjustment. how important is it ? you could always cut out each person for separate layer and do the levels input /output and hightlight and shadow recovery different settings each person. You know their true skin hues better than we do. I seem to think the fellow on the far right looks fine in original, when I did this I did it all one layer so now he looks a tad reddish.

If you decide to do a bang up job on it I'd cut out the background completely that overhead light in the background and the ceiling beams are really distracting.

ciao

Agreed with oma's solution except that I should use "auto-level" then a bit of the "basic adjustments" before "shadow/highlight" (oma's edit is a bit dark in the corners edges, this method makes them keep their color/brightness).

Plus selecting the skin of each separatly, copy and paste each part in a new layer.

Set the blending mode to multiply and play around with the opacity until satisfied.

And maybe some smaller pixel editing.

Photofix.png

Sorry if this is a bit late but...

• 13 years later...

I have tried to use the CURVES strategy to correct flesh tones - That is a hit of miss effort - Reason is that there is no visible nor measurable metric to actually see visually what the Curves adjustment might achieve. Certainly the Curves function will bring change to the color wheel  But nothing that can be controlled. THE HUGE DETRIMENT TO PAINT.NET is the total LACK of BLENDING TOOLS.  The Percentage meter changes the intensity BUT DOES NOT NOR WILL IT ACT AS A BLENDING FUNCTION. So in the department of FLESH TONES or as it is phrased here: SKIN TONES, These two failings really take Paint.net 20 notches AWAY from a Professional Program.  Because of this MY ONE SOLID AND GENUINE METRIC IS -- Can one meet a deadline USING PAINT.NET?   having explored and having used Paint.net for almost a solid year my Response is that PDOT NET is close but NO CIGAR!!!   I can never utilize this program in a Professional setting; would not choose PDOT NET as a program for my artists, and I would go BROKE IF I USED P>NET for anything other than roughing ideas out.  I would love to hear from others concerning the matter of Flesh Tones and Contrast and Value.  If others have a different experience I would like to know  Thank you for listening  

I expect this thread has a zombie-like complexion, since it's over 13 years old.  You should start a new thread instead of posting to one that's long expired.

11) Don't reply to very old threads. Also known as "reviving" or "resusitating" old/dead threads. Also called "necroposting" (eww). If there has been no discussion in a thread for, say, 3 months ... then it is dead. Do not reply to it -- pretend like it is locked. If you reply to it, then the thread will be immediately locked and your post may be deleted. Please just create a new thread if you have something to say about that subject.
However, this rule does not apply to The Overflow, Tutorials, Pictorium, or Plugins sections of the forum.

• Rick Brewster locked this topic
On 12/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, 1LTLos said:

I can never utilize this program in a Professional setting; would not choose PDOT NET as a program for my artists, and I would go BROKE IF I USED P>NET for anything other than roughing ideas out. 

You'd go broke exposing clients to bad punctuation and terrible grammar...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2