How to Install Plugins ×

Animated Image 2.4 - AGIF & APNG

Simon Brown

Works fine on Internet Explorer 8

I would assume it's a problem with Chrome if the image is working with other browsers.  If you upload it and post the link here we can check it against multiple browsers.

Confirming what Red Ochre said - looks good on FF 16.0.2 and IE10.   Must be a Chrome issue.

• 3 months later...

ok so is there a way you guys can make the background transparent when it does this cause ive been trying to convert an .ani file to agif or apng and the ani has transparent background but it comes out black in the end which i dont like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np996vgabm3nvey/Hatsune%20Miku%20Singing.agif

open it in torch directly when you download it as it seems there are no programs that can display it at least non that i can find

post-123894-0-40257900-1382022870.gif

Edited by kamijoutouma

Would it be possible for you to add support for the flag that tells browsers that support APNG to skip the first frame? When I try to open an APNG file as an APNG when it has that flag, it doesn't open.

demo-1.png

This is an example of one. This image has two frames. first frame says doesn't (in red), the second says does. (in green)

If the image were to have more than two frames, APNG-aware browsers would still simply ignore the first frame and only use the ones after, as said by the flag. If I open this as a png, it opens fine, but opening it as an apng gives an error opening the file.

BTW, Something noteworthy is that APNGs (this flag included) fully work in standard base64.

post-125556-0-88304100-1382638059_thumb.

ok so is there a way you guys can make the background transparent when it does this cause ive been trying to convert an .ani file to agif or apng and the ani has transparent background but it comes out black in the end which i dont like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np996vgabm3nvey/Hatsune%20Miku%20Singing.agif

open it in torch directly when you download it as it seems there are no programs that can display it at least non that i can find

somewhere along the way, you appear to have converted from .agif to .gif with an error in the intended background. for some reason, when I downloaded the .agif, the background was there in PDN. but when it was just run from Firefox, it was transparent as it intended to be. so, what I did was use the original .agif, then manually deleted the black parts (to make it transparent), save it, then made a copy as backup, so I could convert it to .gif. it appeared to be gone, but it was more of a white background, instead of black. so, it wasn't fully transparent compared to the original.

I'm not sure this plugin has changed, but I think it has inherent issues with transparency/opacity, even though .gif/.png have the capability. basically, the .agif/.apng contains the animation info, but I think it is "overwritten", when it turns into a .gif/.png, because it's the original code, which might be different than what a .gif/.png was intended to do.

so, rather than just converting it to .gif, the .agif works just fine. just need browsers to read it. otherwise, something else has to be done without making the transparent background (or accepting it for what it is), so that most browsers still have animated .gif support.

Would it be possible for you to add support for the flag that tells browsers that support APNG to skip the first frame? When I try to open an APNG file as an APNG when it has that flag, it doesn't open.

demo-1.png

This is an example of one. This image has two frames. first frame says doesn't (in red), the second says does. (in green)

If the image were to have more than two frames, APNG-aware browsers would still simply ignore the first frame and only use the ones after, as said by the flag. If I open this as a png, it opens fine, but opening it as an apng gives an error opening the file.

BTW, Something noteworthy is that APNGs (this flag included) fully work in standard base64.

not sure what you mean by "flag".

since the red portion is the "unsupported" section, any unsupported programs won't animate, and will not move to the next frame. if there's no looping, supported programs can run it to the last frame. I don't get why you need to directly "skip" a frame if it already is doing what is intended (in a simple manner). the idea is, if you have multiple frames (more than two), the supported programs will keep playing each frame, and play for the duration of any transitions until it goes to the last frame. if it doesn't loop, it stops, of course.

I'm not sure if it is even possible to enforce a "skip" if the plugin doesn't even have that support/feature. for the purposes of this .png, I think it's fine.

Edited by Earl Brooks

not sure what you mean by "flag".

Quoted directly from http://people.mozilla.org/~dolske/apng/demo.html :

"APNG is designed to be backwards-compatible with image viewers which only support PNG. Older image viewers will simply disply the first frame of the animation, like a normal image. A flag can be set to make APNG-aware viewers ignore the first frame, so that it can be used as a staic representation of the animation."

That is what I am referring from. a flag in software is a switch of sorts that tells the program something.

It is designed so that if a program doesn't support animated PNGs, you can have a custom static representation show that isn't in the animation.

Edited by Cyber Toon

It is designed so that if a program doesn't support animated PNGs, you can have a custom static representation show that isn't in the animation.

I think you're actually thinking of event-handling scripts. that wouldn't have anything to do with creating PNGs, and I doubt that support is extended in this plugin unless it has some part of it functioning as a feature.

basically, if you're using multiple frames (not 2, as the image you used already naturally satisfies the purpose), like a full-length movie, and a browser can't support it, you use scripts to use a backup method as an alternative. that's not actually part of creating a png, or the use of this plugin. this is a general method of making things like web-based programs working aesthetically cross-platform, to compensate for their inherent shortcomings.

side comment: although, with the use of HTML5 and CSS3, for example, you would less likely need to do this, or even use animated gifs/pngs, since more browsers are turning up with their own capabilties to read the codes (but there's still a mess with the standards).

Edited by Earl Brooks

If the hidden frame feature is required you may try PDNAnimator.

There you can define the hidden frame by a marker in the layer name.

The tool has not been updated for a while but should work fine.

midoras signature.gif

• 5 months later...

Hi, I've just discovered PdN and just found this wonderful extension. I do a lot of animGif and I wonder if is possible to change the dithering mode. Is it?

Thank you very much for keeping this wonderful instrument free.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Is this plugin still wroking?

I have 2 images, each in a separate layer, then I try to save the file, but there is no .agif file type available. if I saved into .gif, the images flattens and there is no animation at all.

Can anyone enlighten me how this works?

I am just trying to make 2 images into a animated image, that's all. :(

Hey Guys,

Signed up because I can't seem to find the solution to this problem.

So I can load, edit and create animated gifs just fine thanks to this plugin. My problem lies with making them transparent (So only the animated portions 'exist'). 

Steps that don't work:

1. I create the gif on each different layer

2. Animated portions are smoothed out and lined up on each layer

3. Background color is removed manually or with Grim Color Reaper

This results in a gif like this:

ef4JuDh.gif

You can see each layer of the animation due to the removal of the background to make it transparent.

If I create this same gif but instead I leave the background in (Thus not achieving the transparency I'm looking for) the gif looks fine:

A83D7F5.gif

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I missed something obvious.

Also, erickz, make sure that you select "animated gif" not "gif" on the file type when you save the file. 

Thanks!

-Evan

• 4 months later...

I can't get this plugin to work at all.  Whenever I open gifs, they have only 1 layer, very much like opening a .gif animation in MS Paint.  After beating my head against this for an hour, I'm just going to assume that the plugin is incompatible with the current version of Paint.NET

I can't get this plugin to work at all.  Whenever I open gifs, they have only 1 layer, very much like opening a .gif animation in MS Paint.  After beating my head against this for an hour, I'm just going to assume that the plugin is incompatible with the current version of Paint.NET

You have to rename your .gif to .agif first. Because the plugin can not override the built-in .gif loader of Paint.NET.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make a Unlimited loop Gif. this plugin only allows 10.

The plugin tells you: Repeat (0 = loop)

'loop' means in this case infinite or unlimited.

So set the value to 0.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

The plugin tells you: Repeat (0 = loop)

'loop' means in this case infinite or unlimited.

So set the value to 0.

Thank you ^_^

d1486252e8.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

There are countless issues with the animated gif filetype plugin..

Original made many years ago: affbutton.gif

Tried to make it square: affbutton_square_01.gif

Updated: 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/31629-Works flawlessly...

affbutton_square_02.gif

Issues

• Lack of transparency support
  • Quality severely damaged by this plugin
  • Importing creates a layer for each frame, but moving the image in the layer ( ie to center in resized canvas ) creates a duplicate of the frame so you have to go back and remove others ( I also tried without removing in case it was a mask, but transparency still escaped the saved file even if I tried apng or agif instead of gif )
  • Lack of options during save phase ( It should have gif options, ie transparency PLUS current 2 options )

I tried another which doesn't downgrade quality but has the same issue with transparency... Am trying out masking in paint.net with another addon, hopefully it won't show up as an extra frame or so......

Any solutions? Am going to try the alternative suggested by midora shortly.

Edited by Acecool

• 8 months later...

Either something is wrong with my Windows installation, or something is wrong with the current version of Paint.NET... but the plugin doesn't seem to work anymore.