Planeswalkers, "Gather" Here: a M:TG discussion

Hugs, everyone,

I had come across this thread when I first joined PDN - I knew it was about the Magic Card Game, but had no other clue, and all of the discussion here sounded foreign.

Well, I now wear a toga, and have learned this was the same card game which some of my family plays - I am still new at it, but decent enough for my son to

"try out" his new configurations. Even better, this all makes wonderful sense!! Thanks so much for sharing all of this.

"Listen, or Your Tongue Will Make You Deaf" 

Native American Proverb

SIGCOMPLETED072313SPACEAGE-150pxby500pxp

• 2 weeks later...

I want to put together a Bant (WUG) Lifelink/Exalted deck. Any suggestions?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Don't use Exalted as the theme. However, some really good cards in the colors that support lifelink would be Rhox War Monk, Knight of the Meadowgrain, and a few others that aren't coming off of the top of my head. First Strike is also pretty crucial in a Lifelink deck, as it (almost) guarantees your creatures will survive combat if they aren't getting blocked by anything to large. I also suggest running Quiteuis (sp?) Spike in the deck. It is really cool having deathtouch mixed in with First Strike, especially when your Knight hits in for big.

Just play around with some concepts. Definitely check out some deck lists for a deck type called 'Bant Aggro Control'. If you need any other suggestions, you know where I am.

signature.png

Alright Paint.NET M:TG players, I have a question for you: What was one of the most exciting moments in your magic career?

I just had the most thrilling experience. It is a Sealed (Alara, Alara, Flux, Flux, Reborn, Reborn, Reborn) Two Headed Giant tournament, and it is the championship game. My opponent is at 7 and we are at 11. I have two 3/1 creatures that were produced by my long dead Rakka Marr. As well, I have a 2/2 creature with Flying. My partner has no creatures and an unequipped Behemoth Sledge. One of my opponents hints at a counterspell in hand. As well, they control a 3/2 Naya Hushblade and a Skyward Eye-Prophets. I tell my partner to play some random 1/1 with haste, hoping to draw that counterspell out of hand. If they get the idea that we will have a 1/1 with haste equipped to a Behemoth Sledge, maybe they'll waste that counterspell, right? Correct! They counter the 1/1, then activate the Skyward Eye-Prophet in hope of turning over another Cancel. It is a land. So we enter combat and they take 5 out of the 8 damage by blocking a 3/1 with their untapped Hushblade. This is game set match. Main Phase II I revealed the Quenchable Fire and killed them. It was great, and was Magic at its purest.

Also, I have another interesting decklist to share. If you replace the Banefires and Garruks you should have a nickel and dime deck (pricewise) that is really fun for casual. Try it out!

4x Helix Pinnacle

4x Mana Reflection

4x Doubling Cube

3x Llanowar Elves

3x Druid of the Anima

3x Lush Growth

3x Keeper of the Progenitus

4x Path to Exile

4x Naya Charm

2x Garruk Wildspeaker

2x Banefire

4x Dawn Charm

signature.png

My biggest letdown was hitting 105 life and then getting decked. I was playing a lifelink deck, and he was playing a mill deck. He kept chump-blocking my creatures with a Cavern Harpy, then returning it to his hand. I finally got him to tap himself out of land, and killed the Cavern Harpy, but I only got him down from 19 to 10 before he activated Jace Beleren's big ability, then attacked with (I can't remember the creature's name, but it causes you to discard 10 cards every time it attacks). Next turn, I hit him for 9 more, but I only had five cards left in my library. When he finally attacked with the death creature again, I screamed a scream of the damned and cursed the 105 life that had lost to someone with 1 life.

This is the same guy who got an Infinity Loop with an elf deck, giving him ∞ elves (with an enchantment that gave him life for every elf in play, as well as a creature who got +X/+X, where X is the number of creatures you control - a ∞/∞ and ∞ 1/1's is pretty hard to beat, and I had no kill spells in hand). Untap and Mill are the banes of my existence with this guy.

Anyway, my most exciting moment was when I was playing Kithkins (surprise). Don't worry, this is far different from the precon "Kithkin Militia" I pulled out of a box six months ago.

Now, Kithkins have to by nature win quickly. Their low cost and low defense make them ideal for taking an opponent down to 5 while they're still getting set up. So you can imagine my excitement when my opening hand was 3 Plains, 2 Goldmeadow Stalwarts, a Cenn's Heir, and a Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile. I played everything I could, while building up to Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker. I built up my line until it was about 10 or 15 creatures strong, then I went all in (with only two exceptions for some control creatures I wanted to leave untapped).

Excellent and fun. I didn't even ping him beforehand- it was 20 life in one shot. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 4 weeks later...