Need Help - Can't understand why this isn't working...

I'm new, so bear with my ignorance.

I know this is probably really easy for you guys, but I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I have this logo:

n3rrzm.gif

I want to erase the text, and replace it with Navy Families

1. So, I goto File Open, and I open this GIF with Paint.net

2. I go to the red blank color somewhere and use the "color picker" (K) which I assumes will suck up the color red.

3. Then I choose the eraser (E), which seems to me that it should erase in a red color (which should wipe out the text. Well it doesn't.

4. Having tried so many times I thought I'd move onto another thing I know nothing about. I decided that I also want this logo on the right hand side, before the text. Since I read the tutorial, I thought I had this one easy. I didn't...

f03ec6.jpg

5. Having the orginal picture still up, I knew I needed a new layer. So I went to Layers, Add new layer (Ctrl-Shift-N).

6. I goto File, Open, to get the jpeg. Knowing from the tutorial that I needed to get rid of the white background (to make transparent), I grabbed the Magic Wand (S) and clicked on the background somewhere, then I clicked Cut (Crtl-X). Now I have the image I need, with the checkerboard pattern (which from the tutoral, I know it means transparent).

7. Since the image (hearts) are bigger than the background, I went to Image, Resize (Ctrl-R) and selected 20%.

8. Now this is where I don't understand, how can I merge the 1st layer into the main layer? The Layer, Merge Layer Down button is greyed out.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hi.

I believe what you want is the paint brush. After picking the color, you can simply brush over the text.

Or, more precisely you could use the rectangular fill with it set to fill shape.

Just go over the text without disturbing too much of the image.

After you create you new layer, select it. Then go to the layers drop menu and select import from file.

Choose the heart picture. It will appear on the layer, but it will ask you if you want to resize the canvas.

Choose expand as this will allow you to see the whole heart image. Delete the white and feather the hearts.

From here you can use the magic wand to select a blank space and invert your selection(Ctrl+I).

You can use the move pixels tool to quickly resize the hearts. Hold shift as you grab a corner and drag it in.

When it's smaller you can crop your image down.

If you have the second layer selected when you are finished, then you will see the merge down button in color.

And you should have something like this:

endtl4.png

You can see the area on the left where I replaced the text slightly, but when you do it try to blend your changes more into the pattern the image already has.

Depending on the placement/size of your text you can have a bit of leeway.

•♪♫♫♪•

FoolsBlood.png

|- The Rules -|- çobblestones -|- CaMo -|- MeTaL -|

╠═╧╨»Φ«╨╤═╣