Paint.NET crashes when I move to the C:/ directory

matey2

I LOVE Paint.NET!

It has several features I need and is very intuitive... or it was until it started crashing whenever I moved to the C:/ directory! I start the program and then hit 'open'. The folder that I last used shows up (i.e. the one I used before the crashing started and before updating Paint.NET). When I move up to the C:/ directory to find an image in another folder, it immediately crashes. I simply get a Windows error box stating that "Paint.NET has encountered and error and needs to close". Its so frustrating. I have WinXP SP3 and all updates have been downloaded. I have uninstalled Paint.NET and installed the latest version (3.36) (still same default 'open' folder though - not weird?). I now have the .NET frameworks .NET 2.0 SP2, .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 3.5 SP1 as well as the knowledge base family update pack (KB959209) for .NET 3.5 SP1 on WinXP. None of these changes or updates has fixed the problem. If I select an image from the default folder which opens first, I can run the program and edit the image fine - no crashing. It only crashes when I move to the C:/ directory. Does anyone have any idea why Paint.NET crashes like this? Do you know how I can fix it? BTW, I run Avast! antivirus and whether On-Access protection is On or Off makes no difference. Desperately seeking answers! Merry Xmas!

I don't have any other software that crashes. I just checked Notepad and Wordpad - all fine. If it is a shell extension, is there anything I can do about it? Any other ideas anyone?

Disable the shell extension and see if it works.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't have any other software that crashes. I just checked Notepad and Wordpad - all fine. If it is a shell extension, is there anything I can do about it? Any other ideas anyone?

Did you try with notepad switching to Thumnails view?

Oh, right - - do you have any videos in the C:\ directory?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

First remove all videos from the directory you're having problems in.