Sign in to follow this  
Simon Brown

The Windows 7 thread

I have just installed Windows 7 as a dual-boot on my old computer (the one I used when I first joined) and now that I can see Windows 7 Aero the not turning off Aero Glass on maximise looks very ugly in my opinion. :(

It makes the screen look very cluttered, especially since I have Rocket Dock at the top of my screen.

Who'se the dude who said he installed the x64 version in a VM?

And you have the awesome new bar without Aero?

Me, do you want to compare the 32 bit and 64 bit versions then?

Who'se the dude who said he installed the x64 version in a VM?

Me, do you want to compare the 32 bit and 64 bit versions then?

Actually, I was wondering how you installed a 64bit system in a VM, I tried, with no luck. I tested Virtual PC and Sun's VirtualBox, maybe you used VMWare??

@Simon : thanks.

I've just installed on a partition, for whatever reason it can't connect to the internet - says I need to update the drivers. So now I'm going to scrounge around the netz to find some.

Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: So I went to HP.com and tried to download some drivers (My pc is HP, so I assume I can get them there). It said they only support drivers for Windows XP...

I installed on a partition, and everything worked out of the box, even wireless.

After extensive testing (read: 1.5 hours) I conclude that Win7 is pretty stable in gaming. Most satisfying.

EDIT: So I went to HP.com and tried to download some drivers (My pc is HP, so I assume I can get them there). It said they only support drivers for Windows XP...

The computer I installed it on doesn't even have an internal wifi capability and uses a dongle. The dongle had a driver for Vista in beta and this worked just fine with Windows 7. I'd be surprised if there were actually drivers available for 7.

Hmm...

Yes Sozo gaming is quite satisfying on 7 - and my start up speeds are excellent.

As far as the drivers thing goes - I'm unsure about it all - Says I even need an Audio driver - Sound doesn't work right.

Remember this is on my Desktop pc running Xp on one drive, and Vista and 7 on the other.

Vista quit working today too.... :evil:

And 7 keeps telling me it's not genuine even though I put it in the key they gave me! (Which I can't find any more...)

As far as the drivers thing goes - I'm unsure about it all - Says I even need an Audio driver - Sound doesn't work right.

Remember this is on my Desktop pc running Xp on one drive, and Vista and 7 on the other.

Vista quit working today too.... :evil:

And 7 keeps telling me it's not genuine even though I put it in the key they gave me! (Which I can't find any more...)

Go back to the Win7 website and log in, thn go to the download page. They will give you your key again. You should have printed it out in the first place, like they said to. :wink:

I've got the disk sitting in front of me, but I still haven't installed it. Been putting it off for days now for whatever reason.

But for now, I think I got infected with the Conficker.B worm. So I'm taking care of that.

According to an email i've just received from Microsoft the release candidate is not available to MSDN/Technet subscribers and will soon be available to the public.

Windows 7 Release Candidate Announcement

Thank you very much for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta. Your feedback is invaluable in helping make Windows 7 a high quality operating system. With your help, we have reached the next major milestone on the journey to Windows 7: the Release Candidate (RC).

-

Today (April 30) the RC is available to MSDN subscribers and TechNet Plus subscribers.

-

On Tuesday, May 5 (PST), the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available.

So you don’t need rush to make sure you get your copy. When you’re ready to download the RC, it’ll be waiting for you.

Yeah, I just got the same email. Already got a key for the 64-bit version.

Anyway, I'm actually running the 64-bit version of build 7057 right now. Have to say, I'm pleased with Microsoft this time. But I'm still mad that they insist on making you go through twice as many hoops to get to certain configuration or info windows.

Example would be trying to get the properties window up for "my computer". Probably the last thing I'm looking for when I right click on "computer" and select properties, is the info screen that tells you how much RAM you have, what processor you're using, etc. I'm looking for the configuration window. In XP, you just right click on "my computer" and it's there. In Vista/Windows 7, you do that, and then you have jump through an extra hoop to bring up the window that offers the other functions.

I've kinda gotten used to it, but it's still annoying.

I went and downloaded it. The disk image is just sitting on the hdd since for some reason VirtualBox doesn't feel like working with it. :(

It installed the beta just fine.

I went and downloaded the 64-bit version and Virtualbox is one of the few VM progs that support 64-bit guests.

And it's easy to setup and use.

If I had the 32-bit version I could use VirtualPC.

As a reference to anyone wondering about Windows 7 performance on older hardware, this computer I'm posting from is powered by the last breaths of the Pentium 4 line.

Time from cold-start to usable Firefox

Windows XP: 5 minutes.

Windows 7: 2 minutes.

XP actually appears to start faster; it gets to the desktop quicker. But between the time I click on the Firefox icon and the time it shows up, I can make ramen.

Clearly, Windows 7 will make my ramen supply last much longer. A good thing, too, since I'll be heading off to college soon.

mmh, as far as I know Windows 7 shouldn't be faster than XP, especially on an old computer. The only real advantage I see to Win7 is directx10 and proper multicores handling. But my computer has neither, so I'm not interested in 7 at all, I'd rather get a quality unattended. and perhaps it simply loads parts of firefox while the computer boots, like it does with IE?