Sign in to follow this  
Simon Brown

The Windows 7 thread

The arrow next to Paint.NET in Windows 7 gives me a list of recent files. I'm not sure how Windows 7 does this - if it looked at PDN's API calls surely it would pick up recent files as well? :? If it looked at which files the dialog had opened programs like GIMP would show an empty list.

I've been using Windows 7 for a little more than a week now...There are some expected compatibility issues with some of the programs I have installed - but other than that I love it. :D

note: I tested the 64 bit version, so if you think I'm crazy it may be due to that.

I'm amazed. Windows 7 actually runs pretty well on Virtual Box, which means that the performance has been improved a lot since Vista. The guest additions sadly aren't up to date yet (at the time of testing - some days ago) but that wasn't too much of a problem.

Also, UAC isn't the unholy beast it used to be, you can actually control its level of annoyingness now, making it an actual enhancement to your safety. Proper malware can probably work around it anyway, but at least it may stop some of it. The option to not dim the screen is very nice, your pc will look like you're in control again. (at least, a good deal more than on Vista.)

Boot time is still longer than XP's and a clean installation can be around 10GB, but this is only a beta so we can hope it will be improved.

I had real trouble trying to get the fonts to look good though, I didn't even succeed. If someone can show me how to disable all font smoothing I would be very happy. Yes all, it makes text look like I need glasses, and I don't like that. (please, no arguing, this is an opinion.)

I'm amazed. Windows 7 actually runs pretty well on Virtual Box, which means that the performance has been improved a lot since Vista. The guest additions sadly aren't up to date yet (at the time of testing - some days ago) but that wasn't too much of a problem.

Other people managed to get them working using compatibility modes (but I haven't), although not shared folders. I managed to use the Vista guest additions to get drivers for internet access, ect. Virtual PC (there is a free version) may support Aero Glass ("as VPC was written by Microsoft, who wrote DirectX" -- Captain Obvious) - but I haven't tried it.

Why not? It's not like it will do any harm if it's running inside a VM

Granted it can sometimes give a bad impression about the OS, so if you try a beta version, be sure to try a the finished version when it's released as well.. Vista's alpha en beta sucked much worse than the real release (that still sucked however, just not as badly)

I installed in on an extra partition of my hard drive. Runs great, and I like the changes so far. I wonder if I'll be able to find some good graphics drivers though, I want to see how the beta performs with games.

I'm finally posting from 7. SO far it's been admirably stable and easy to use straight out of the box. I'll see how it does in games after my drivers finish downloading.

Ah, I see how Windows 7 populates jump lists:

This blog post[/url]":d8stsg7b]Programs are able to replace the default MRU (Most Recently Used) list with a system-maintained MFU (Most Frequently Used) list

I have just installed Windows 7 as a dual-boot on my old computer (the one I used when I first joined) and now that I can see Windows 7 Aero the not turning off Aero Glass on maximise looks very ugly in my opinion. :(