Glossy Button Help

First off wow this program rocks.

but i need some help.

im trying to basically add a finish of shiny clear coat to this

seetest.png

i followed this tutorial on how to make that..

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27100&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=glossy+button

but other tutorials act like i should know every tool there is and im really lost.

any help would be nice.

again all i want to do is get that above super shiny.

i thank you for your reply, but it doesnt explain the HOW to. as i use this program more and more ill learn the where and whats. but right now im only working on the glossy aspects.

i have photoshop, never used and corel, could use like this.

i can do everything else but this techinque i havent learned.

Oh. I just looked at the tutorial link you posted, so I misunderstood exactly what you were asking.

...Well, you could have one of your colors set to transparent and the other white...Then make a new layer and add your linear white gradient and use the selection to cut it off where you want, or you could draw an opaque, white shape and use the transparency gradient as mentioned in the tutorial.

Your gloss shape should be on a new layer.

•♪♫♫♪•

FoolsBlood.png

|- The Rules -|- çobblestones -|- CaMo -|- MeTaL -|

╠═╧╨»Φ«╨╤═╣

i love that your helping i really do, but what you said, just flew right over my head.

let me give you my background, i do website design, hosting, and 3D art.

so if i wanted to do this i would have to do it in a 3d program, so now that im doing this in paint.net. im so so lost, like you have no idea. if it was in swift 3d, or maya. i got it.

as you can see here..

so the best way to help me is point me out on a hands on solution, so i can follow along.

22496_176232fbe68e682c3f7576ecc9e8812d

22496_9b45728489aa236713cb7a4d70982b2b

22496_2588b78950ed32666e0128c0bcb7ecac

Impressive stuff. All I ever made was 1/2 of a polygonal elephant in Maya....and some kickass vases.

-=-

•Make your basic button shape on the 1st layer.

•Add a new layer, for gloss.

•On this layer use any of these: :FreeformShapeTool::RectangleTool::RoundedRectangleTool::EllipseTool: in white, to draw a shape over your button in the area you want your gloss to be and delete the parts you don't need.

•Select the gradient tool and click the color channel :AllColorChannels: button so it changes to :AlphaChannel: alpha channel.

•Draw your gradient to fade the white.

bglowr9.png

Obviously cropped down.(but still gigantic)

You may have to fix the edges of your gloss...I just Gaussian Blurred it, but it doesn't give it that 'sharp' look.

•♪♫♫♪•

FoolsBlood.png

|- The Rules -|- çobblestones -|- CaMo -|- MeTaL -|

╠═╧╨»Φ«╨╤═╣

Test this:

Open the image and add a new layer.

Button1.png

Make a white line with antialiasing disabled like this:

Button2.png

Fill the upper area with white. Open the "layer properties" and adjust the opacity to your liking (higher opacity=glossier, but it'll be harder to see details if you set it too high).

Button3.png

Apply a gaussian blur at about 3-4 pixels to make the edge a bit softer.

Button4.png

Hope it'll help!

This is quite similat to Down's way but I like this better (gives better control of the transparency)

No need for aliasing. Do what someone93 suggests, but without disabling anti-aliasing. ( :AntiAliasingOff: :arrow: :AntiAliasingOn: ) Also, make sure the curve you draw is at least 3 pixels wide.

Then, when you fill the upper area, set the paint bucket Tolerance to 68-69%. It should work, without giving you jagged edges.

Do NOT use the whole Adjustments way to lighten the white part. Instead, go to the Gradient Tool :GradientTool: , and switch Color Mode to Transparency Mode. ( :AllColorChannels: :arrow: :AlphaChannel: ). Then drag the gradient over your white gloss.

No need for aliasing. Do what someone93 suggests, but without disabling anti-aliasing. ( :AntiAliasingOff: :arrow: :AntiAliasingOn: ) Also, make sure the curve you draw is at least 3 pixels wide.

Then, when you fill the upper area, set the paint bucket Tolerance to 68-69%. It should work, without giving you jagged edges.

Do NOT use the whole Adjustments way to lighten the white part. Instead, go to the Gradient Tool :GradientTool: , and switch Color Mode to Transparency Mode. ( :AllColorChannels: :arrow: :AlphaChannel: ). Then drag the gradient over your white gloss.

Ok i tried your method, i did the No need for aliasing. Do what someone93 suggests, but without disabling anti-aliasing.

and

but when i did the gradience it didnt work well at all.

heres 2 examples.

the one is using layer properties

22496_6cd49cd27a76dbb2e7336474c0d4256e

and the other is gradience.

22496_1c3218dfb75fd7f867a26b82afeaec7a

what am i doing wrong in gradience?

also thank you all for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it.

ok i am also having another issue.

when i try to fill an area, it fills the complete area,

how do i word this, im trying to fill the area up, but not the transparent area...

look at the bottom of the image, versus the top. im trying to keep a rounded edge. but the fill fills the entire image.. unless i flatten it. but then i beleive the image is unworkable..

or am i wrong?

22496_61a4c78608218e8e8088b71da1f434d0

22496_784d3d1fefec284c5f4373000b22f710

duplicate your bottom layer, and fill the bottom with white instead. Don't fill the top with anything.

Invert colors (control-shift-I)

use curves+, set on advanced with luminosity->alpha.

use curves+ again, this time set to luminosity, and set a straight line across the top of the box. This should make all of your pixels pure white.

Hope this helps.

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

duplicate your bottom layer, and fill the bottom with white instead. Don't fill the top with anything.

Invert colors (control-shift-I)

use curves+, set on advanced with luminosity->alpha.

use curves+ again, this time set to luminosity, and set a straight line across the top of the box. This should make all of your pixels pure white.

Hope this helps.

umma huh. sorry so lost me.

my bottom layer is solid black.

that is a bit unclear.

Here, let me try again.

make a new layer, and fill it with solid black. Put this layer on top of all of your other layers.

duplicate the layer where the shape of your button is. Also make sure that your shape is solid black, as well. Place this shape above all of the layers, including the one in the previous step.

draw your line that marks the edge of the shine while you still have the top shape layer selected, and fill the shape with white. It should not fill up the transparent corners of the shape as well. If it does, set to a lower tolerance.

merge the shape layer down on the black layer(the first layer you just made)

run curves+ on advanced with luminosity input and alpha output. Keep the line running from lower left corner to upper right corner.

run curves+again, this time on luminosity instead of advanced, and make the line in the dialogue box run from top left to top right corner. This should make all of your pixels white, whereas before the ones which originally had low luminosity kept their luminosity, they just became less opaque.

was I more clear this time? :P

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

you guys are awesome.

i took both ideas, and kinda found a way fast solution.

made a layer

drew image

duplicated image

made it top layer

drew "shine line"

filed it with white

22496_adce6bf3cbd01422feeed2d566ffe943

perfect...

im still working it though, seems you guys can get the shiny glossy, covered in clear coat effect far better than i can,.

any more knowledge you wish to send at me?

if i could define the shine line a bit better i also think it would help.

duplicated image

made it top layer

drew "shine line"

filed it with white

That step will work only with one colored shapes.

I got another idea that might work:

I'll start with this, to show how you do with non rectangle shapes (and shapes with more than one color):

Button01.png

Duplicate layer, and go to Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast (Ctrl+Shift+C).

Turn the brightness all the way down and contrast all the way up.

You shold now have a black shape on the top layer (with the same shape)

Button05.png

Invert the layer (Ctrl+Shift+I).

Button06.png

Now, you'll have to select the part of the gloss you don't want.

(Draw a line on a new layer and select the area below)

On the layer that's mostly white by now, delete.

Then delete the layer you used for the selection.

Button02.png

The edge will be a bit jaggy, so select an area around the edge (just be careful, you don't want to have the upper corners in your selection), and blur or feather it (don't too much though, just make sure it's kind of smooth).

Button03.png

Then adjust the opacity.

Button04.png

Hope this will help you!