Closed

Lance McKnight

Thank to you all for your kind comment. Yes it is a gas, and it was rendered by Chaoscope. That software is extremely powerful for such a simple thing. I found this render by random chance and saved the image before I lost it. This was also my first attempt to create glass, and judging from your reaction it sounded like I pulled it off. I know the outline of the bottle seem blurry, it was because I screwed up with the alpha mask plugin (by not keeping the same canvas size! :roll: ), and the edge was so jagged I had to use Radial and Gaussian blur to clean up the edge. This is also a hint: use cloud with low color (think white/light grey) and play with the layer blending option. Using BoltBait's transparency plugin was a huge help as well as the transparency gradients. Just play around it and you'll be able to create glass. Maybe this is how Ash was able to create his glasses. :twisted: *maniacal laugh* Now I will be able to catch up with Ash...maybe in 100 years.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

The cork flew off the monitor when I was working on it, hitting me square between the eyes, and I moved it to the recycle bin. Thanks for your suggestion...I'll give it a whirl and see how it works out.

Good seeing some new works of you, and as usual you did a good job.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

^ a render from chaoscope, edited in pdn (hence the colour) and then added text. fairly simple, but hell, very effective.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

@Axle: To post how I made the glass would be lengthy. It all started with a basic shape of an outline of the bottle. Then from there, I added a surface using cloud with low color range (white/light grey), played around with transparency gradient ( :AlphaChannel: ), and added another solid white fill and played with BoltBait's transparency plugin. Basically you need something to put inside the bottle (in this case, I used another render from Chaoscope), and play with each layer blending options, and transparency until it looks right. I also used BoltBait's Bevel plugin (Effect>Selection>Bevel). And cazaron is right...my sig is another render from Chaoscope. I simply duplicated the background layer, and played with it. Gaussian blur, and changed the layer setting to Glow, Overlay, etc. Or my favorite combination....Glow (Photo>Glow), and set the layer to Glow and lower the opacity. It brings out the color than what was in Chaoscope. By the way, I noticed the way you spelled, "Pitty." It is spelled, "Pity." And that's Mr. T's famous line. :lol:

@Cazaron: How is my sig effective? Just curious.

it creates a very appealing blend of colours, and, though there isnt much going on, it pleases me to look at. i have to say, its something i really like, but if the black bg could be tainted with a little bit? maybe put in like a c4d or another fractal blended into the edges of the piece (lightly, of course, as not to taint the focal itself). if this would be done, id like it more, but yes, as it is, its effective.

also, the text is a tad iffy. but you know that, right?

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

it creates a very appealing blend of colours, and, though there isnt much going on, it pleases me to look at. i have to say, its something i really like, but if the black bg could be tainted with a little bit? maybe put in like a c4d or another fractal blended into the edges of the piece (lightly, of course, as not to taint the focal itself). if this would be done, id like it more, but yes, as it is, its effective.

also, the text is a tad iffy. but you know that, right?

The text was a bitmap font I downloaded from dafont, and that was something Rick was addressing in the PDN 3.5 version preview center. Perhaps I need to get rid of the text and add something subtle to liven up the sig? I'll consider your suggestion with the C4D, even though I can't afford the software... :cry::lol: Thanks for your feedback.

you wouldnt mind if i played around with your sig on PDN to kinda show you what i mean a bit better would you?

EDIT: never mind, i know what im talking about, i played around, but i couldnt do it. i know precisely what i wanted to do, but i couldnt do it.

ironic...

@cazaron... :lol: I know what you mean. I had been thinking about it last night. I experimented the other night if it was possible to do alpha masking on the fractal to remove the black background, and it works. Simply duplicate the layer, turn it black and white, and then invert the color. After that, flatten, save as .png file, and then undo everything. On the background layer, run the alpha mask, and it will destroy the black background (while ensuring the alpha mask invert color option is checked). Unfortunately, I noted that the fractal is best seen with a black background, so make it as a separate layer. I'll play around with it when I have some time.

Edit: I have updated my signature, cazaron, tell me how you like it. I really love it, makes it almost look mysterious, like an alien being in space, or that creature from the movie "Abyss." That was a long movie, but awesome, nonetheless.

YES! YES! magnifique! really, that is something else. nice work on it all, only one small thing. try doing a few more stars, and blend them a little. i think that wold go a bit better. honestly, one of the better sigs ive seen from these forums.

YES! YES! magnifique! really, that is something else. nice work on it all, only one small thing. try doing a few more stars, and blend them a little. i think that wold go a bit better. honestly, one of the better sigs ive seen from these forums.

I thought you might approve. :P I got to admit, it's one of my best sig, and I'm pleased as punch that it worked. Maybe I'll add more stars and overlay the image with it. I don't want to do too much to distract from the main picture.

I thought you might approve. :P I got to admit, it's one of my best sig, and I'm pleased as punch that it worked. Maybe I'll add more stars and overlay the image with it. I don't want to do too much to distract from the main picture.

Maybe I'll add more stars and overlay the image with it. I don't want to do too much to distract from the main picture.

yeah, and if it does clash too much, dont do it! i like it how it is, but i have all these ideas, and some look good, and others dont...

Maybe I'll add more stars and overlay the image with it. I don't want to do too much to distract from the main picture.

yeah, and if it does clash too much, dont do it! i like it how it is, but i have all these ideas, and some look good, and others dont...

• 3 weeks later...

I know I hadn't been around in a while, but I was able to finish making a new piece, a 3D puzzle glassy piece, and it is probably my next to best piece to date. Enjoy!

I know I hadn't been around in a while, but I was able to finish making a new piece, a 3D puzzle glassy piece, and it is probably my next to best piece to date. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

New image posted. It was my attempt to create a glass block. Enjoy.