Make second consecutive toggle of layer visibility an Undo

Alph Tech / STUART

It would be nice if toggling a layer's visibility on and off repeatedly only did and undid one Layer Visibility Properties item in History instead of flooding the History window with a bunch of Layer Visibility Properties representing the repeated toggling and untoggling of the layer.

248_0be9a1b19211dd46964b2a685308d97a

248_55d461d576dff32d73fb59c80cbad588

I agree. I'd like it if each layer being toggled off would represent a history item, and each layer being toggled off would just be an undo of that item.

And, actually, since layer visibility is discrete and non-destructive, I wouldn't be too sad if layer visibility didn't impact the history at all.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah, like zooming - no history record at all, since you can always toggle the thing back on again.

But maybe there's some reason not to do it that we don't know about?

Photobucket Sucks!

Take for example a scenario in which you have 15 different layers, each with certain blending options on that the image is incomprehensible if a few specific layers aren't toggled. (anyone who's played the Clint Howard games like The Fool's Errand knows how this works). If you were to toggle all of those on, it would be a pain to go through and trial and error figure out which ones you had on and off, which is why they have entries in History.

And, actually, since layer visibility is discrete and non-destructive...

Layer visibility must be in the history because it affects the rendering and the contents of the image (the saved file will be different). Although this idempotency idea is intriguing ...

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg