Sign in to follow this  
Simon Brown

That other app v2.2

14 minutes ago, JRSwenson said:

When I attempt to use it to call MS Paint to print out the current layer I get a message box with the text "App could not be loaded". 

That error will show when either the chosen program can't be opened, or when a temporary image file can't be saved into the My Documents folder.

I'm guessing the temporary file can't be save, because you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender.

Let us know.

No. Controlled Folder Access is not in operation on my PC. Of course MS Paint is Standard Equipment on WIndows 10 (At least until Microsoft decides to make it into a Universal App). And there does not seem to be anything wrong with the Security Settings for the Documents Folder since I can create documents with impunity in it.

Two questions based on the comments I have received so far:

1) Why would this plug-in write a Temporary Image into My Documents. Being a programmer temporary files should go into the Temp Folder.

2) Why go thru the agony of saving a temporary copy of an image somewhere, opening it in Paint to print it out, and then deleting the temporary copy when there is a plug-in that will do all of that for you? Processes like this are what computers are good at solving.

10 minutes ago, JRSwenson said:

1) Why would this plug-in write a Temporary Image into My Documents. Being a programmer temporary files should go into the Temp Folder. 

Technically, it's being saved into the My Documents\paint.net User Files\ folder.

I should have been more specific.

Yes, the %tmp% directory would have been more ideal, in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, JRSwenson said:

Being a programmer ...

Feel free to decompile it, and run the debugger.  I'm interested in what the issue is, so let us know.

I really do not have the tools to do a decompile of a plug-in as interesting as that would be. However I found something interesting, I do not have a paint.net User Files folder structure in my Documents folder. How do I manually create this structure? Assumedly it would have been created when paint.net was installed.

35 minutes ago, JRSwenson said:

However I found something interesting, I do not have a paint.net User Files folder structure in my Documents folder.

Confirmed. When I remove that folder, I too see the error message.

36 minutes ago, JRSwenson said:

How do I manually create this structure?

The easiest way would be to click this menu item in paint.net.  That will create the directory structure, if it doesn't exist.

palette-folder.png