Sailor in need of answers!

I'm a Sailor with an undying love for pigments and acrylics. However, being on a carrier really limits your ability to paint unless it's a bulkhead. Needless to say, I'm not really meeting my creative urge. I had Paint.net but was seriously dissappointed in missing all the functions that Photoshop provided, and it basically killed my digital love (I could hardly afford to keep buying new canvas, let alone the fistful of cash that photoshop costs.

Now, I have come to realize all the plug-ins that are availible.

These are amazing. Free program, with all the missing pieces of a high cost professional program and it can be run on my laptop, once I get it back.

I have a few questions reguarding the various programs:

1) So, Cloud filter exists, what does that scaleable dialog change?

2) Does the pen tool make selections ala photoshop?

3) (My term-fu is off, I havent used a computer based art program since highschool) You can set the style of each layer to things like Overlay and Multiply and such... What are all the options and what (Mathmatically if you know) do they do?

4) suppose I hand draw a picture and upload it to my compy, Would I have to ink it all over again, or is there a way to just make the white transparent?

5) What in the name of all that shpadonkiels is Alpha?!? I'm getting the impression it makes things transparent, but I'm not 100% sure...

6) I get that shape 3d is cool, but what are it's limits? Can you set the size of the individual object (for instance, can you make a 3x6x2 foot box? or are they always cubes?). If you run the plug-in for an empty layer, will it just give you shading?

7) I saw a bunch of fractal-esque images made on this site, is that a plug-in as well, or were they just tirelessly copy/paste/resize/repeat, tirelessly...

8) Is there a section of this website that is for art, which just happens to be created on PdN. I have seen a lot of very beautiful abstract pieces, some great re-workings with game renders and the like, and TONS of photomanipulations... what about just a painting that happens to be cursor painted?

If possible, I understand it's a slowly dying artform and all, but can you relate it to me in Painting terms? (I.E. if my suspection of Alpha is correct, It's like mixing PVA glue with the Acrylic paints, making the shade more see-through...)

CrimsomInnocencecopy.png

This is not a link, don't try to click it

1. (from memory) Scale, roughness, blend mode & reseed

[edit]

2. No. Pens & pencils are for drawing not selecting. Use the Magic Wand :MagicWandTool: to select irregular areas (tolerance will affect the selection area based on similar/dissimilar colors), the Ellipse and Rectangle selection tools select more regular areas.

[/edit]

3. Blend modes change the result of pixels when overlaid. Check this link: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/LayersAndBlendModes.html

4. Search for the "Primary Color Difference to Alpha" plugin.

5. Alpha = transparency amount!. The above link also explains this.

6. Boxes, spheres and cylinders. All customizable to your hearts content.

7. There are a number of fractal effects, mandelbrot, julia and (memory failure - dang, I thought I had another one...). This link shows where to find them (and clouds) http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/EffectsRenderMenu.html

Section for PDN art? Sure is, we call the the Pictorium, and it's part of this forum.

6) I get that shape 3d is cool, but what are it's limits? Can you set the size of the individual object (for instance, can you make a 3x6x2 foot box? or are they always cubes?). If you run the plug-in for an empty layer, will it just give you shading?

If possible, I understand it's a slowly dying artform and all, but can you relate it to me in Painting terms? (I.E. if my suspection of Alpha is correct, It's like mixing PVA glue with the Acrylic paints, making the shade more see-through...)

6.Limited only by one's imagination. ;)

Painting is not dying.

Also please read the rules, "Sailor in need of answers!" doesn't really tell others what you are asking for.

Good luck.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]