Glass Ball

Sharp

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I take it you mean steps 8 and 9 of the tutorial.

In step 8 you should still have the original circle selected.

On a new layer, draw a black & transparent radial gradient inside the selection.

In step 9, use the Move Tool pdn35icons.MoveToolIcon.png to move the gradient you drew in step 8.

Click on the top nob (knob? nib? handle?) of the selection and drag it down to about half the original height.

Click on the right nob of the selection and drag to the right, about half again the original width.

If needed, click anywhere inside the selection and adjust the position of the shadow/gradient so that the bottom of the shadow lines up with the circle/ball, like in the example image.

Press Crtl+D to deselect all.

Lower the opacity as needed.

You can ignore the rest of step 9, "Now that we are done with the selection of the circle...". I suspect that was written for an earlier version of the tutorial and then Sharp must have forgotten to delete it after an update.

Xkds4Lh.png

I take it you mean steps 8 and 9 of the tutorial.

In step 8 you should still have the original circle selected.

On a new layer, draw a black & transparent radial gradient inside the selection.

In step 9, use the Move Tool pdn35icons.MoveToolIcon.png to move the gradient you drew in step 8.

Click on the top nob (knob? nib? handle?) of the selection and drag it down to about half the original height.

Click on the right nob of the selection and drag to the right, about half again the original width.

If needed, click anywhere inside the selection and adjust the position of the shadow/gradient so that the bottom of the shadow lines up with the circle/ball, like in the example image.

Press Crtl+D to deselect all.

Lower the opacity as needed.

You can ignore the rest of step 9, "Now that we are done with the selection of the circle...". I suspect that was written for an earlier version of the tutorial and then Sharp must have forgotten to delete it after an update.

Thanks a lot mate. It worked like a charm.

I guess I will need your help in some other work also like making a water drop or a glossy button.

Hope you will help me :D

post-81941-130035319944_thumb.png

No problem. You'll find lots of members, far more knowlegable than me, ready to help you with whenever you need help.

Nice Glass Ball. You'll find that it looks much better if you use BoltBait's Feather plugin on the shadow layer.

And your shadow will be more in line with the tutorial if you make the gradient transparent in the middle and darker on the edge, rather than the other the way you did it.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started fiddling around with paint.net and I like this tutorial. It's easy for a beginner and get's you used to the program. Here's my try at a glass ball. I actually didn't realize until I got the image ready to upload that the dark part of the ball blurs outside of it, but whatever. I also think the outline isn't smooth enough, but hey it is my first try.

post-84587-131216451461_thumb.png

k0su29.png

i would like to revisit the discussion on light passing thru a curved piece of glass, but from a slightly different angle.. at least i think

what was discussed before seemed to be the distortion of the shadow itself, what i want to get into is the appearance of the shadow as seen thru the ball. the glass ball would create a magnifying effect, wouldnt it? and therefore the section of the shadow seen thru the ball would appear bulged? also the refraction of the light would offset the shadow slightly. while it would seem to be a simple fix, what with the bulge and magnify effects, i cant seem to get it to look right. and not having a nice crystal ball to set on a table to refer to, yalls experiance is my next best option. what would you suggest?

p.s. dont you love how something simple as a discussion on a clear glass ball can get so complex? :D

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded Paint.Net 1 hour ago and tried this tutorial after practicing and getting to know the software.

So heres the first "Project" I have tried :) I put my little guy inside the bubble by hiding it inbetween layers :D

Which is really effective. Does anyone know how to make the edges of my ball have a really thin black outline?

hehen.png

You have just lost The Game

morphe1.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well...I followed this tutorial twice. Below, the results (with a few changes):

Older:

GLASS%20BALL.png

Recent (today):

GLASS%20BALL_NEW.png

Edited by Beta0
Re-linking images
A Gallery 

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...