justification of text within forum

There is no

tag.

Left alignment is the default alignment - left justification means that the text starts at the same place on the left for every line.

Are you looking for right justification, where the text goes over on that side? ->

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

You can now.

;)

The code is:

[right]Text[/right]

It's also across the top bar on the posting reply page.

Note to anyone reading this:

Large blocks of right-justified text are hard to read. Don't abuse this, m'kay. ;)

Edit:

EDIT of course it works " thump" as I hit heel of hand to forehead :oops: :oops:

so simple

Actually, I just added the tag for you. If you had tried it 15 minutes ago, it wouldn't have worked, so there's no need for Oops. :)

~ Becoming the Archetype

Lets see why this is bad because none of us know why this is bad so I'm posting this to see how bad it looks because I am curious. Don't mind my grammar, it's meant to be this bad. I am just curious to how bad this looks, I will never do it again. I've never used right justification very much so I wanna learn how it looks, but Dan said not to use it so I'm typing this nonsense so everyone can see why he says not to use it. This will be the last post ever made with a long paragraph of right justification.

:oops: Your right, that does look.. bad.

With the justification topic in this thread, i've just wondered, what about justified text, where a paragraph doesn't have messy ends, where both ends are straight. Sort of like in a newspaper where the text is written in perfect coloums and the "justify" alignment in MS word. Possible on these forums or not? Just out of curiosity. :P

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Giving this one a shot, guys. If I type something that's long enough to wrap down to two lines, it becomes pretty darned long. Thank you, Simon, for the information on how to do this; Thanks, Oma, for starting up this thread; Thanks, Rick, for making me an admin so I can do this myself; Thanks, LFC4EVER, for asking for this feature. Now, just a few more words, and I'll be able to actually test it out with two justified lines (though I'm not entirely certain how many lines this text will fill once it actually posts to the forum.

The above is justified with
[justify]"Text"[/justify]

It doesn't appear that it works. I did it the way you noted, Simon. Any ideas?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Shouldn't make a difference. That's just an identifier I give it. I could call it "waffles" and it should still work. :-) But I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: I did it, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

EDIT AGAIN: I figured it out. The code replacement seems to require

s, not s. I made it work by looking through CMD's code for the
tag. :-) Woot!

EDIT ONCE MORE: Played with the padding so it fits in the same way as the code and quote blocks. Hopefully this'll make for a cleaner look.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

EDIT AGAIN: I figured it out. The code replacement seems to require
s, not s. I made it work by looking through CMD's code for the
tag. :-) Woot!

Thanks David! I was about to point out that it does appear to work when you added this edit.

I can feel an "Add Forum Feature" competition/poll coming on.... :wink:

EDIT ONCE MORE: Played with the padding so it fits in the same way as the code and quote blocks. Hopefully this'll make for a cleaner look.

explain please. does this mean you've set the width ?

Essentially, yes. More specifically, I played with the area between the text and the edge of the forum square that holds the text (the "padding"). When I allowed it to be there before that edit, it went almost all the way to the border; it didn't match the way the quote and code boxes filled out the screen.

thanks David the concepts I understand but sometimes its the words used ie padding or div that make me stumble.

this I guess will come as I ask questions. just amazes me sometimes I actually can just about follow along what all you computor whiz kids talk about..

EDIT I did notice if you use the right tab at the end of a line it sets it on a new line down. An example would be in my pictorium gallery opening spot (page 1) under the picture where the first title Abstracts starts. I typed the picture name and brief explination followed immediatedly with " right/right " enclosing the page number <=== (in the [] of course) I expected that it would run along even with the description not be on line below.

ciao

With the justification topic in this thread, i've just wondered, what about justified text, where a paragraph doesn't have messy ends, where both ends are straight. Sort of like in a newspaper where the text is written in perfect coloums and the "justify" alignment in MS word. Possible on these forums or not? Just out of curiosity. :P

Heh. I've always preferred justified text, so I actually already have it set as such by default via User Stylesheets in Firefox. ;)

I did notice if you use the right tab at the end of a line it sets it on a new line down. An example would be in my pictorium gallery opening spot (page 1) under the picture where the first title Abstracts starts. I typed the picture name and brief explination followed immediatedly with " right/right " enclosing the page number <=== (in the [] of course) I expected that it would run along even with the description not be on line below.

Right now, the effect is accomplished via straight text alignment. This means that we define a block the entire width of the post body, then tell the text to go to the right side of that block. However, because it's a block the entire width of the post, it has to be on its own line.

It would be possible to use a CSS float to move a dynamic-width paragraph over to the side, but that's really getting into structure manipulation, and I don't want to risk mucking up either of the forum skins. What you can do is put the page marker before the image tag, which would put it on the line directly above your image. It's not perfect, but it's closer to the desired effect, I'd imagine.

Actually, even if we were to try a float scenario, you'd still have to put the page marker before your image in the code because of the way most browsers deal with right-floats - they get aligned below the taller content unless they are placed before it in the markup.

So yeah, try putting the image after the

tags. That'll probably be as close as we're able to get it for you.

~ Becoming the Archetype

It doesn't appear that it works. I did it the way you noted, Simon. Any ideas?

I did a brief Google search to find out the HTML solution and found a result giving the CSS. I cut out a bit of it that seemed irrelevant. Here is the full CSS:

text-align: justify; text-justify: newspaper

Edit: I forgot to read the further responses. I'm glad you managed to fix it. :)

KaHuc.png