Feature request: default "start paint.net" to off when updating on close

Currently the paint.net installer/updater always defaults to having the "start paint.net" box at the end checked, causing paint.net to start after closing the installer. While this makes sense in most cases, it's rather annoying when using the "update when I close paint.net" option, because now paint.net will reopen itself when closing the updater unless I uncheck this box. Given that the user just exited the program before updating, it's safe to assume that they probably won't want to immediately reopen it when the update finishes. The "start paint.net" box should default to unchecked in this specific case, which could likely be accomplished by passing an extra launch argument to the installer indicating it was triggered by updating on close.

An alternative solution that wouldn't add an extra click for people who do want to restart paint.net would be to remove the checkbox entirely, and just make two separate buttons for "start paint.net" and "close installer". Then the user can choose which one to click depending on what they want to do.

I understand your argument but...

10 hours ago, Luke18033 said:

Given that the user just exited the program before updating, it's safe to assume that they probably won't want to immediately reopen it when the update finishes.

I don't think you can safely assume that. It wouldn't necessarily be the case for:

• People who use paint.net continuously as part of their job. A reason they would deferring the update to close time is just to ensure it doesn't interrupt the editing of the images they are working on right now. But they want paint.net running again at the end of the update.

• People who have paint.net running all the time in the background.
    I do this so that I can avoid the few seconds start-up time each time I use the app, which is frequently. I just press Win + 3 (it's pinned as the 3rd app on my taskbar) then, typically Ctrl + Alt + V to Paste into New Image.

• People who want check out the changes that have been made in the new release.

There have been 18 paint.net updates in the past 24 months, so on average that's only one update per 1.3 months, so maybe it's going a bit far to say that the current behaviour is "rather annoying" as it's only one mouse click to uncheck the start paint.net box during the update.  18 extra clicks in 2 years is no big deal (IMO).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered installing the MS Store version? Updates magically happen in the background.