Making a realistic rocky planet texture on PDN?

Well, i've been working on a spacescape, and i've completed the starfield (see here), but i need to include a few planets and i'm having problems create a good rocky planet texture. Something like Commando Sozo does in his planets (hint hint at Sozo :P) ?

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Well there is always the good old stone texture tutorial (now in Tutorial+ submenu Textures) where you might find some ideas. However these generally don't look good if you then apply a transformation like Shape3D.

to work around this I generally do the shape3D in greyscale then use that to give the flat texture some depth - something like the flag tutorial here: viewtopic.php?p=181513#p181513

Perhaps a short planet tut by me? :wink:

1) Blank Canvas

2) Run Clouds, but set blend mode of clouds to difference

3) Repeat (Ctrl+F) a few times (about four more times)

4) Duplicate layer and run emboss at default

5) Set the layer mode of the emboss layer to glow (or whichever works best for you)

6) Merge layer down

And that's a standard texture I usually use. You could go a step further to make it rougher by:

7) Duplicating the layer again

8. Run height field to normal map plugin on default

9)Adjustments==> Black and white

10) Overlay

11) Merge layer down

From there I make the planets in different ways. Sometimes an elliptical selection+alpha mask+ a distort such as lens distortion.

But usually I use S3D, turn off all the lighting options and play around with the camera angles

Hope that helps :)

Well, thanks guys for your help. I took a look quite a lot of PS tutorials and all of them use a planet texture to begin with for a brush or just as a texture. I guess its not possible to create one from scratch, so i've decided to attempt on and combine it with a stock texture.

Merry Christmas

give me the link and I'll take a look at the texture. I love doing textures.

EDIT actually have you tried #6

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5462

ciao

Well, this is where i got the textures from [link] , but i don't think i'll need to download textures anymore. I created this texture using 100% PDN tools.

texturetesting.png

The other day i had tried using normal clouds plus emboss plus blend modes to make the texture, and it turuned out ok, but the mountainous rocky feel wasn't there. A while after i posted that it wasn't possible to make textures, it dawned on me that i should use difference clouds. And voila! The above texture originated after many layers and blend modes. Now all i need to do is make some nice craters and a texture should be complete.

:shock: oma, that tut you linked uses the tools i used. I guess it was just a matter of time and experimenting to find that effect, and thats probably what the writer of that tutorial did. :lol:

At least i'll remember how i did it though, because to me it was a discovery for myself, and not someone teaching their discovery.

Time to make a hi-res version of the texture and make some planets crumble. :twisted: :D

Merry Christmas

:? Didn't I mention difference clouds? :lol:

Its ok, I'm not trying to point anything out lol

---------

I rather like that texture. Specifically, I like the way it's colored. My textures seem either washed out or too intense... How'd you color it? Color filter? Something else?

How many layers did that take you?

:? Didn't I mention difference clouds? :lol:

Its ok, I'm not trying to point anything out lol

---------

I rather like that texture. Specifically, I like the way it's colored. My textures seem either washed out or too intense... How'd you color it? Color filter? Something else?

How many layers did that take you?

Yep, you did mention difference clouds. Thats probably why it dawned on me to use difference clouds as a starting point. :P

That texture was coloured by the one and only... Curves+ ! Then i duplicated the flattened layer, a bit of hue adjustment and lowered saturation (rocks aren't bright are they? They're dull :P ), then moved the more saturated layer on top. Then i made a mask, using white brush making a random but flowy brush stroke, Gaussian blur it to a suitable degree, then ran the alpha mask on the more saturated layer, and done. Curves+ Rules. (thanks pyro!)

EDIT: Forgot to mention how many layers the texture took. Took about 10 or something layer i think. I flattened quite a bit, messed around with opacity and blend modes to get a good texture.

Merry Christmas

That texture was coloured by the one and only... Curves+ ! Then i duplicated the flattened layer, a bit of hue adjustment and lowered saturation (rocks aren't bright are they? They're dull :P ), then moved the more saturated layer on top. Then i made a mask, using white brush making a random but flowy brush stroke, Gaussian blur it to a suitable degree, then ran the alpha mask on the more saturated layer, and done. Curves+ Rules. (thanks pyro!)

Wow... I never though of curves+ :oops: I also never thought about using alpha mask. Thanks! I think this topic has helped me learn something new about spacescapes :)

Instead of using a paintbrush + blur as a mask, just use some clouds, and use that as a mask. It gives a more natural feel i think. :)

I think this topic has helped me learn something new about spacescapes :)

That makes 2 of us then :P

Also, check this tut out, it has all you need to know on making planets. Clicky

Merry Christmas