What DPI should I use?

oma

So guess what I've received a commission for an art piece. (abstract) !

I need to get this one correct first time round as it will be printed on canvas/some sort of plasticy filmy material, at the local photo finisher.

the size is 12 x 12 but what dpi should I use to get the best clarity. The young gum snapping teenager at the shop just said ""well its like a picture ....I guess""

I'm sure my friends here that do photographic work will certainly have better info for me than that.

ciao

OMA

so I'd have to make it at 12 in x 12 in as well? seems very large.

I know if you have a 4x6 picture you can up the size when you have them printed, is this not the same?

I seldom do anything when I develop pictures other than hand over the film to the printer.

sorry for being so dense on this but its just not clicking with me.

ciao OMA

I know if you have a 4x6 picture you can up the size when you have them printed, is this not the same?
Chances are, if you are speaking of a digital image, that the resolution was high enough to produce crisp images at both 4x6 and the larger size, as it would have been resized for the 4x6 size.

Both Ash's and welshblue's link are adequate DPIs to suggest, I too would recommend 300DPI.

Good luck, oma. This is quite a chance you have here; deserved as well.

I am using 100 dpi, do you think that it'll become too blurry?
Not unless you upsize it, or print it on anything bigger than its natural dimension. If your image fits within A3 size, then don't go printing on A2.

The problem people have with DPI only happens when they try to print it larger than the image's size, like, for instance, the example above. When the image is printed smaller, then DPI is neither here nor there.

Congratulations Oma!

I'm not going to claim any sort of expertise here, but surely the fact that you're going to print onto a textured canvas makes the need for very high DPI a little less? I'm wondering if there really is a need to go as high as 300dpi.

Case in point: A friend of mine (who wins awards for amateur photography) sent me this image:

Poppies.jpg

As you can see, the image is a reasonable size (10x8 inches), but the resolution is only 96dpi.

I've printed a number of images from a canvas of 800x600 @ 96dpi, these look very nice at a standard 6x4 (inch) photo size.

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck!

If I remember correctly, professional printing resolution is 600 DPI / PPI (same thing). This will essentially double the resolution of your image, Oma.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Industry standard printing quality is usually 300DPI; most professional printers can't even handle anything much higher than that.

100DPI should be perfectly fine for a poster, meant to be seen from a distance. Up close, you might have some minor readability issues.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

I need for a professional printing an image with the resolution of 600 DPI.

But I don't know the size to get 600 dpi

which pixel size i've to use width and height

should i use pixels/inch or pixels/cm

and what about the print sizes?

please help me its very important :(

You can change DPI through "Image>Resize." Just set it to 600 and change the image's size to whatever size (in inches) you want.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.