Curved Tiles Texture

cjmcguinness

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This is a very simple, straightforward use of a Distort plugin that produces a nice curved tile effect that can be used as a background as, when finished, it will tile perfectly.

Moderator note:  For the result shown by the author, use only the diamond gradient and finish off using the Rotate/Zoom Plugin with the tile box ticked.

To create these curved tiles you will need the Waves plugin.

(The Distortion and Ed-Harvry Effects plugins are optional.)

- You need to start with a 1000 x 1000 square canvas (I've tried other sizes and this one produces the best results)

- Make any design you wish on the canvas; not too intricate as most of the detail will be lost when we do the tiles

- I put a very simple diamond gradient

- Then EFFECTS > DISTORT > Dents: Scale 50, Amount 100, Turbulence 10.

- Now, select EFFECTS > DISTORT > Waves: Radius 1000, X-effect 400, Y-effect 400.

- Press CTRL+F to repeat the Waves - you should repeat somewhere between 10 and 20 times to achieve your desired level of detail.

10 x Waves

20 x Waves

- Recolour your image by EFFECTS > ED-FECTS > Colour Tint.

- You could also use ADJUSTMENTS > Curves and play with the RGB values to colour your image if you prefer.

- You can now shrink your image to a size that will tile nicely across a background (Desktop or Webpage).

- IMAGE > Resize: I made mine 150 x 150

This is what it looks like tiled across my desktop:

You can also view this tutorial on my Googlepages

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Awesome tutorial!

cool tutorial :D

Waves2.png

I was aiming for a similar effect (actually, what I'm trying to do is basically this :P ). I've got to the same stage as this picture, but is there any way to have the different color quadrants "smoothly" blend?

I've tried gradients (color/transparent, from the outside towards the center), but then that leaves the center of the image black and white.

Here's a blended 4-colour one.

4colours500.png

Once you have your first set of tiles done leave them mono.

Start a new imge with a canvas that is twice the size of your original then copy and paste your original in 4 times, tiling to fill the canvas.

Create a new layer and divide it into a 4x4 grid, colured as follows:

4x4colours.png

EFFECTS > Blurs > Motion Blur at 90 degrees

EFFECTS > Blurs > Motion Blur at 180 degrees

This will blend all the colours together.

Move your colour layer below the tiles, then set the blending mode on the tile layer to Multiply.

Then IMAGE > Canvas Size, by Percentage to 50%, ensuring the Anchor is set to middle.

You now have a coloured, blended set of tiles that will also tile seamlessly.

4colourstiled.png

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

That's great!

Would you care to elaborate on how you made that? :D

If you're talking about mine, I'm not quite sure :P

What I THINK I did though was follow cjmcguinness's steps above for creating a a 4x4 grid...ish.

I used 4 colors, and made a grid that somewhat came close to the size of my tiles, while not having half squares hanging off the sides. I then followed his motion blurring directions.

After that, I think I simply duplicated that layer, merged the two "Color Grid" layers down, and then finally set the composite layer's blend mode to Color Burn.

... I think.

But thanks for the compliments! That really made my day! :D

• 1 month later...