Burnt Edge Effect

barkbark00

I've done this a few different ways in the past and this is, by far, the easiest and most realistic way I've come up with. Here it is.

NOTE:The Median Blur effect is needed in this Tutorial and that is only available with PdN v3.0 Alpha 3+.

Also, BoltBait's "Feather" Effect is used but not necessary.

1. Start off by opening a new image at 800x600. For now we are going to leave the "Background" Layer as it is.

2. Create two(2) new layers. Name the top one "Tan" and the bottom one "Black".

Layers1.png

3. Fill "Black" Layer with...You guessed it, Black.

4. Change your Primary color to a "light tan" (Hex = FFF0C6). Anyone let me know if your favorite animal is "poopies"...hehe.

5. Then, using the Rectangle tool set to "Draw Filled Shape With Outline" draw a rectangle in the center of "Tan" Layer.

Layers2-1.png

6. Using the Eraser tool with a width of 10, randomly erase around the egde of the tan rectangle on "Tan" Layer.

Erase.png

7. Apply a Median Blur effect to "Tan" Layer. These vaules can vary, so play with them depending on your image size.

Radius: 29

Percentage: 40

8. Using the Magic Wand Selection tool with the Tolerence set to 0 select the transparent area on Layer "Tan". It should look something like this.

Selection.png

9. Keeping that same selection switch over to "Black" Layer and hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard.

10. You can now Feather both Layers "Tan" and "Black". As I said before, this step is optional.

You should end up with sometihng like this.

finpaper.png

Obviously there are other things you could so to make your "Paper" look more realistic. One option is to either make or find a nice paper'ish texture and add it to a new layer, cut out what ever doesn't fit on the "burned paper" and then set the layer blending mode to either "Multiply" or "Overlay"

finpapertex.png

finpapertex3.png

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

if you wanna make it a little bit more burnt, take a brown color, draw a small line on the outside edge of the paper on a new layer, while it is selected, say a 5 pixel brush or so, then gaussian blur it to your liking.

ravennm3.png

• 1 month later...

I like your user bar. Neat idea...using the toolbar for the fade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yeah...not the best...but we all have to start somewhere, neh? Thanks!

Are you kidding? That looks so cool!

sigeb7.png

woodsign.png

This was made by combining a couple of tutorials and my own techniques. The wood texture was made entirely in PDN.

i made a treasure map!

skattekart.jpg

why not just tell him to go south east instead of making a circle? it'd be faster :)

knight.jpg

Site: RIP =(

i made a treasure map!

skattekart.jpg

why not just tell him to go south east instead of making a circle? it'd be faster :)

A treasure map isn't supposed to go fast.

dragonfly-1.png

Do not click!

Time flies when you're eating a donut.

My dA

• 2 months later...

9. Keeping that same selection switch over to "Black" Layer and hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard.

hmm when i click delete there is just the tan map shape left there is no black border burn shadow on the tan map..

what went wrong?

Now, This is a good tut.

Good job. :)

Are you implying that my other tutorials were not as good? :wink:

J/K...Thanks for the kind words!