The source code has been removed as a result of people stealing it and releasing it under their own name as a program they developed.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Paint.NET was never truly open source, as the traditional definition goes; it was released source. :-) But I see what you're saying. You're right; the terrible actions of a couple of people have ruined things for many, many more.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Paint.NET was never truly open source, as the traditional definition goes; it was released source. :-) But I see what you're saying. You're right; the terrible actions of a couple of people have ruined things for many, many more.

However, it dosen't mean he won't release parts of the source code (possibly) in the future; parts which would be no good to people who'd want to rip off Rick's work.

In the open source world, people are ripping off other people's work all the time. Projects get renamed, forked, and so on. It's unfortunate that a few select people have taken advantage of the Paint.NET source code just to make a profit, and in turn cause Paint.NET to go closed source.

I really would prefer to see Paint.NET remain open source. Just in case, I have already been using the GIMP more and more because I will likely stop using Paint.NET if it goes closed source.

It's your choice, of course. But why? The ethos behind the Paint.NET program has not changed. Rick is still running the project the same way he always has. He's never accepted unsolicited code from other programmers. He's always been the lead developer with the help of only a few others. These things have not changed. The only thing that's any different is that, now, you can't download and build the source or edit the source yourself.

But, best of all, Paint.NET remains the best and easiest to use free image editor on the web today. Why stop using it just because the actions of a few have forced Rick to close the source?

It's your choice, of course. But why? The ethos behind the Paint.NET program has not changed. Rick is still running the project the same way he always has. He's never accepted unsolicited code from other programmers. He's always been the lead developer with the help of only a few others. These things have not changed. The only thing that's any different is that, now, you can't download and build the source or edit the source yourself.

But, best of all, Paint.NET remains the best and easiest to use free image editor on the web today. Why stop using it just because the actions of a few have forced Rick to close the source?

David,

You are right. I suppose it is something that I have always wanted with Paint.NET, for it to be a true open source project which it never really has. That is something that had always bothered me, but yet I continued to use Paint.NET because it is just so damn good and easy to use. So you are right, it is only a minor change, really. Not enough to warrant not using the program anymore, seeing how I had always used it before despite not really being truly open source.

Cheers,

Dave

I will not stop using. But just started to use because it was Open Source. And the times I was studying the code for learn, as it is not a small project.

I will not stop using. But just started to use because it was Open Source. And the times I was studying the code for him to learn, as it is not a small project.

I was replying to DaveD's comment. But I'm glad to hear it! :-)