Help with ligtening a section of a photgraph please!!!!!

HI to you all, I am new here. I discovered Paint.net last week and I think it is a brilliant programme, very flexible and easy to use. However I have a lot to learn!!!

I have been trying to edit a photograph for my dad. We had the photograph developed, but the tree on the right hand side of the picture is extremely dark. I have tried various ways of lightening. I have lightened the whole picture, but the colours look wrong, I have selected parts of the tree using the Lasso tool, but the outline is always visible and I have also cut the tree out of the picture and edited the section alone, but when I paste it back into the photograph there is a big black line running down section where it has been re-joined.

As you can tell, I am no wizz at these kind of things and I would be so grateful if someone could either edited the picture for me or explain to me how I would do it? We are happy with the way all the other parts of the photo have turned out, it's just this bloody tree at the front that's the problem!!!!!!!!

I have tried attaching the picture, but it says the file size is too big. I don't have the tools on my latop to resize. If someone can help could you mail me at: claireoll@btinternet.com and I will send you the picture??

Hugs to you all

Claire

Since you got it uploaded, please do all of your troubleshooting work here. That way it might benefit others. :-) Thanks!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.