Troubles installing

I have read the stickies, and i have still not found a solution.

Tried installing, it tells me that windows installer has encountered a problem, goes through this three times then tells me that it can not locate the file c:\ProgramFiles\Paint.NET\Staging\PaintDotNet_1049656505.msi I thought a problem with Windows Installer, so i go to to reinstall windows installer version 3.1 and i get the error "Not Enough storage is available to process this command." I know there is room in my C drive, that's not the problem.... No other programs are running at this point. Tried cutting nonessential Processes until i am running at the bare minimum, still no dice.

If any of you have any ideas to solve this problem i am all ears. Thanks again, i dont think i can make any more signatures with out paint.net, Tried Photo shop cs3, its just not the same, the controls are not user friendly, and there is no advantage in learning PS CS3 because as far as i can see it has no extra benefits. PLEASE HELP =) thanks again, hope this issue can be resolved shortly as the list for signatures is growing and i am unable to fulfill any of these requests!

Well seeing it been around now for a few days with no takers. I will try my best to go over this with you.

Was Paint.NET installed on your system before ?

If so is this an update ?

Do you have the .NET Framework installed ? (2.0 or higher is needed or Paint.NEt will not install or run)

Are you logged in as an Administrator as Paint.NET may need you to be (I believe it does need to you to be from what I seen).

I hope it something as simple as not having the framework or being logged in as an admin.

HITMAN-X-,

Was Paint.NET installed on your system before ? - yes it was

If so is this an update ? - no, i wiped my computer because i had to send it into hp

Do you have the .NET Framework installed ? (2.0 or higher is needed or Paint.NEt will not install or run) if it comes standard with vista then yes, i have not installed anything named .net framework but i am running vista premium home edition (probably explains all my problems, freaking vista)

Are you logged in as an Administrator as Paint.NET may need you to be (I believe it does need to you to be from what I seen).

yes, i am the only user on my computer, and i have tried the "run as administrator" option.... to no avail

thanks for your time =)

You need to download the .NET framework, I'd imagine. Try doing that and see what happens.

It's linked on the "Downloads" page on getpaint.net.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Try completely deleting the download and re-downloading it. See if that helps at all.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

i am still getting both the 3x "there is a problem with this windows installer package. a program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor" as well as the "Windows can not find C:\ProgramFiles\Paint.NET\Staging\PaintDotNet_1049656505.msi"

1. Have you tried actually uninstalling, then reinstalling?

2. Have you ever moved Paint.NET from the directory in which it was installed?

i wiped my computer when i sent it in to hp, as in clean nothing left and nothing traceable, so i should've been completely free and clean. and while it was on here, no i never changed the directory. i have also tried installing on to an external drive, no dice, as well as a different area on my laptop.

it has been on this computer before, but is no longer so this should be a brand new install...

hmmm, interesting thing i discovered, it is failing to find this file while it is trying to uninstall the previous version, so i looked, somehow i have 3.36 "installed" no files to run it off of though, and when i go to uninstall, it simply gives me the same problem....

also, my download from the websites is 1.5m.... might just be me but that seems a little small for a program.... does it download as it installs the actual program or for some reason am i not getting the full download?

finally, got it. Turns out, the External hard drive that i have had previously been used (by me and i forgot) to hold and install a plugin for Paint.net (was browsing plugins during my off time in school) when i connected it to my computer after i got it back it apparently reinstalled it self into nothing (don't ask me how or why) and was causing problems for the reinstall....

Wiped that file and found the freakout folder where it installed and cleared them up, no problems after that....

thanks for all the help... turns out it was something that i didn't even know was possible.... a program attempting to install itself... without its parent program....computers are kinda weird sometimes....

Glad you got it figured out! Honestly, I don't think anyone ever would have figured that out...:-P

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot install Paint.NET. Installer just shows me this empty error message box and closes after clicking OK. This message box is shown by SetupFrontEnd.exe as I determined.

What can I do to fix this error or determine what's wrong with it?

Maybe i need to show Regmon and Filemon logs?

21424_12fd61325ce4ca67c0b042652e762bdb

21424_ba85a3e1207bd00bfb47e7bb5a2ed5d8

21424_b4cb7f9c3ca9cb8ec626e1209873a6db

I cannot install Paint.NET. Installer just shows me this empty error message box and closes after clicking OK. This message box is shown by SetupFrontEnd.exe as I determined.

What can I do to fix this error or determine what's wrong with it?

Maybe i need to show Regmon and Filemon logs?

You should make your own topic for this error as the one you posted in was already fixed.

To answer your question. It looks like you never unziped Paint.NET and are instead trying to open the Paint.NET exe file with a zip program when you should be running it.

To answer your question. It looks like you never unziped Paint.NET and are instead trying to open the Paint.NET exe file with a zip program when you should be running it.

No, there's Paint.NET.3.36.zip and inside of it - Paint.NET.3.36.exe

When I start Paint.NET.3.36.exe, Nullsoft Installation System extracts everything needed to "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Temp\PdnSetup" and "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Temp\PdnSetup2". Then it runs MirrorShim.exe, etc. In the end SetupFrontEnd.exe shows me this empty error messagebox and that's all.

Created new topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27647