Simple *Round* Glass Buttons

cjmcguinness

Yepp... looks better imo 8) Nice job!

When I get time to try one, I think I'll try a little rounded transparentcy gradient on the reflection in the middle as well. That might work to get rid of the clean cut reflection look.

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

cjmcguinness,

I think that your square button would look better with two drop shadows. What I mean by that is adding a lighter drop shadow on the top left. I've taken your picture and re-done it with a second drop shadow to show you what I was talking about.

I did not blur the drop shadows because, in my opinion, it made it look like a more realistic shadow. Let me know what you think of this picture/idea.

(One of the pictures is on a white background so the drop shadow would be more noticeable. Both pictures are the same, just one doesn't have a background.)

squaredropshadowwithback.png

squaredropshadownoback.png

Hi. This is my signature. :)

cjmcguinness, that's very close to what I was looking for, thanks!

The main thing I wanted was a "glossy" effect that wouldn't overly distort the layers beneath. That way I could hopefully put any kind of picture as a background layer and still get that glossy/3D look on top.

I wasn't even sure in my head what that would look like, but your pics have given me some idea, thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
cjmcguinness, that's very close to what I was looking for, thanks!

The main thing I wanted was a "glossy" effect that wouldn't overly distort the layers beneath. That way I could hopefully put any kind of picture as a background layer and still get that glossy/3D look on top.

I wasn't even sure in my head what that would look like, but your pics have given me some idea, thank you. :)

Dawn, what is the font called that you used for your Avatar? And were did you get it?

WindowsVista2Concept.png

My Internet Explorer 8 Concept....

My Deviant Art

My Forum

Adding "like the Wii ones" in the title of this topic will boost your views :)

They are only similar, and the "Wii ones" are way simpler. These really do look more like some of the firefox theme's buttons...

08_Buttonz2.png

The do look like FX theme buttons. I made a FX theme and it is pretty popular too.

great tut

I am not sure what is happening, maybe something left out everyone knows but me?

1. Start with an 800 x 600 (default) canvas.

done

2. Use the Elipse Select tool and (holding the SHIFT key) drag a circle that has a Bounding Rectangle size of 400 x 400 pixels.

done, took awhile, but done.

3. IMAGE > Crop to Selection

Image>Crop to Selection is grayed out.

My History is at

New Image

Elipse

Which is step 1 and step 2

Seems there is something else after step 2 that isn't mentioned. Or another way to start a New file other than choosing New from the File menu?

@NotArtsy

Crop to selection is usually greyed out if you have nothing selected on your canvas. Make sure you are using the Ellipse Select tool :EllipseSelectTool: and NOT the Ellipse tool :EllipseTool:.

The Ellipse Select Tool :EllipseSelectTool: highlights a section of the canvas, you will see a rotating dashed outline when an area is selected. If your Ellipse has a thick black border then you are most likely using the wrong tool (I know it can be confusing as they are both called Ellipse - but one is a Selection tool :EllipseSelectTool: for highlighting an area of the canvas and the other is for drawing an Ellipse shape :EllipseTool:)

Once you have dragged your 400x400 ellipse selection try pressing [CTRL]+[sHIFT]+[X] keys together (this is the keyboard shortcut for crop to selection).

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Thank you so much, that was it. I'm using what you have here to try and get a graphic built for a logo. The logo is a circle so this got the square canvas to go away. I want to use your glassing effect as a background to the circular text. Then cut out the middle of the circle to plop in a graphic. Layers but not sure how to attach it all. But a nice project to learn the program. Thank you very much for responding. Part one of my task is done :D

this is such an easy to use and effective tutorial.. well done!!

this is my creation..

GlassButtonInside.jpg

for sum reason a part of it is missing when i put it on photobucket.. ahh well lol

*edit* when it came up in the forum window it was all there.. dont worry about that

SigDimensions-1.jpg

@ Jettyy & Farley ^^

Try saving your finished buttons as filetype .PNG, rather than .JPG and the background will stay transparent (rather than being white, as JPG doesn't support transparency)

Otherwise, nice job both of you; I am glad that so many of you that are new to PDN are finding this tutorial easy to follow and producing great results.

CJ

PKRM.png

ya i tried to get the canvas to 125 and when i did the outside of the circle wasn't transparent

See the second screenshot in the tutorial:

01_Transparent.png

You need to make your secondary colour transparent. When you resize any canvas PDN uses the secondary colour to fill the new empty space. So making your secondary colour transparent will result in the new enlarged space being transparent.

PKRM.png