Palm Leaf -- Basic Beginners -- Moderate difficulty.

oma

you do know there are always workarounds. the bars plugin you have can be used, but it is better to upgrade.

the way to use the one you currently have is to rotare the layer using the right mouse button until your leave is at an upright angle, or just draw the leave in an upright position.

but really strongly suggest you update the plugin you will open many new avenues for your work to progress in.

ciao look forward to seeing how you make out with making a leaf.

OMA

...look forward to seeing how you make out with making a leaf.

OMA

yes... uh huh... :D :oops:

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

Well I`ve finished `making out' with my first palm leaf and here is the result. Hope you like it. If you can see anything I might have done better or differently please say so.

The one thing I did do different was with the stem.I instead of using the Bevel plug in I drew a thin white line along the top of the stem and used Gaussian blur on a low setting.

PalmLeaves.jpg

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Well I`ve finished `making out' with my first palm leaf and here is the result. Hope you like it. If you can see anything I might have done better or differently please say so.

The one thing I did do different was with the stem.I instead of using the Bevel plug in I drew a thin white line along the top of the stem and used Gaussian blur on a low setting.

PalmLeaves.jpg

well after all that making out, the leaf is not bent, or even curved!? wow. thats subtle.

it looks wonderful goon. good job

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

th_PalmLeaves.jpg

Is there a smilie for the hip hip horay! this is very very well done.

ciao

yep. less definitely. it looks great!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Im a new members here and also new to paint.net..

I tried to follow the tutorials made here but i found there's a some of the effect or tools that i dont have..so,i cant finished my project.

This is the tools that i dont have:

- gradient bars

- bevel selection

- power stretch

Maybe i dont have several tools but not fine it yet.. :( I appreciate if someone can tell me what happen to my paint.net.Thanks!

hello welcome to Paint.Net

these would be added plugins

here is the topic dealing with adding plugins

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2023

read thru the whole topic page 1 to the end (26 pages.) and all questions re adding plugins will be answered.

then go to these to download the plugins.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22701&hilit=powerstretch

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22819&hilit=bevel

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21706

• 1 month later...

Wow OMA - that's an amazing tutorial (thanks) which taught me to use things I didn't know were possible with Paint.NET. Unfortunately I could not get the 'bend' to happen on the leaves :( Perhaps on my next attempt!

oma_s_palm.gif

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...

:D go, Oma, go :D

Absolutely one of the best tutorials I've seen!

Took the idea a bit farther..

tiiliseintaidettavh4.th.png

Everyone is getting unbelievably fine results :shock:

But eeeeh.. Opinions on this one?

everythingfadestogreysi.png

Please forgive my possible complaints. I'm but an annoying little perfectionist when it comes to using english...

"I tremble in the presence of your terrifying skills of gardening."

Wow OMA - that's an amazing tutorial (thanks) which taught me to use things I didn't know were possible with Paint.NET. Unfortunately I could not get the 'bend' to happen on the leaves :( Perhaps on my next attempt!

you've done a fair job on that as a beginner. try some other tuts now and then come back. The bend portion is about the most unbegginner friendly item here. Its all where you place that x in the bulge or how you position your circle outline for power stretching. It takes practice but you are off to a real nice start in drawing. Remember this tut is to give you the basics only. It mainly teaches how to wand outside your outline drawing so you don't get cartoon outlines on things. That's the real secret to getting more realistic drawings.

:D go, Oma, go :D

Absolutely one of the best tutorials I've seen!

Took the idea a bit farther..

Everyone is getting unbelievably fine results :shock:

But eeeeh.. Opinions on this one?

well I don't think this is eeeeh at all. reminds me of a bunch of little christmas trees....lol! I think what you are not seeing is the little tiny stems on the individual leaves where they join to the bigger middle stem.

you are off to a fine start on drawing. glad you liked my little tut. I don't write many of them... but do often put little notes in with my pictures in my gallery, when I'm asked how did I do something.

welcome to you both will be watching for some fine art from you both.

ciao

OMA

Hi I'm a nwebie to Paint.Net and I was wondering when you get to add the gradient where do you clcik I clcik where it says but it doesn't work

sorry didn't notice yu asked a question till this morning.

now are you speaking of the first fill green gradiant?

there are several reasons this could be happening.

1) you've wand outside the leaf shape and have not then hit control + i (inverted your selection)

2) you may have the :AlphaChannel: set when it should be :AllColorChannels:

3) check your colors if you are using same color as the background it will not show up.

4) check you haven't set any colors as transparent opacity

last

don't laugh now anyone I did this when I first started.

5) my selection was correct on correct layer but I just cliked the two buttons and thought it would fill automatically with the gradiant.

you need to position your cursor where you want the one color to start left clik and drag your mouse in the direction the gradiant is to go.

off hand those are the things I can think of

If you check all of these things and its not still working upload a picture of your screen at the point where you clik the gradiants. I'm not sure what it is.

ciao

OMA

that would be because it is an additional plugin written to go with the basic Paint.Net. this tut requires 3 plugins.

I've added the links in the first part of the tut so you can find these add ons. also there is a link about how to add plugins that I added. you should read that entire thread.

I know I know its a lot of reading when you want to just jump in and make things. beleive me it will make your useage of this program a lot easier if you read those things first. Understanding will give you a better chance at making exceptional art.

ciao OMA

• 1 month later...