Interface Orbs - Long and Image Heavy

-Expiration-

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Note: Since this is my first tut, as requested by Bugster, it might be a little confusing, but I hope it is good enough.

Also, I like to use (x,y) coordinates a lot when doing my pieces. You can find these in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Plugins needed:

Align Object
Transparency

1. Make a new canvas (duh). Any size you want, but its better if its a square. I will be using 600 x 600 (the largest that will fit on my screen at 100% zoom).

2. Add a new layer, name it "Base", and using the Ellipse tool on "Draw filled shape", draw a dark gray circle from (100,100) to (500,500) while holding shift.

3. Using Magic Wand set to 0% tolerance, select the outside of the circle. Invert the selection (Ctrl + I).

4. Add a new layer, name it Base Gradient. You should still have the circle selected.

Using black/white for your fore/background colors respectively, draw a gradient from the bottom edge of the

canvas to the top.

Set the Layer Blending Mode to Glow.

5. Add a new layer, name it Base Bevel. You should still have the circle selected. Using the Ellipse tool on "Draw shape outline" with a width of 15,

draw a circle from (105,105) to (495,495) while holding shift.

6. Gaussian Blur this layer by 15. Set the Transparency to about 20% Transparent.

7. Add a new layer, call it Base Brushed Metal. Fill your selection with black, add noise with 64 Intensity, 0 Color Saturation, and 100 Coverage.

Motion Blur this at a 0 degree angle with 50 Distance. Make sure Centered is checked.

Set the Layer Blending Mode to Negation.

8. Now add a new layer and call it Picture. This layer is where you are going to have what is shown in the center.

For this tutorial, I will be using a slightly adjusted Paint.NET logo.

Make sure it is a circle, and center it using Align Object.

9. Now, we want to make the inset object look shiny, so we are going to add a few reflections.

Make a new layer and call it Radial Reflection. Using the Ellipse Select tool, select a circular area a few

pixels smaller than your picture.

10. Using white as your foreground color and a fully transparent color for your background, draw a radial gradient

from the middle-bottom of your selection towards the top edge of the canvas.

11. Deselect and Gaussian Blur at 15. Set the Transparency to about 20% Transparent.

12. Make a new layer and call it Circular Reflection. Draw a white filled circle at the top of your picture.

13. Using a transparency gradient, draw a linear gradient from about 1/3 of the white circle to the bottom of the circle.

Then set the Transparency to about 50% Transparent.

14. On a new layer called Rectangular Reflections, draw four filled rectangles spaced evenly side by side.

Then draw another four filled shorter rectangles above them.

Align Object Horizontal.

15. Use Bulge at 100 in the center.

Then use a -100 Bulge towards the sides of the rectangles.

You should have something like this.

16. Using a transparency gradient, draw a vertical linear reflected gradient from the center of the picture to the outside edge.

17. Now use a transparency gradient and draw a horizontal linear reflected gradient from the center of the reflection outwards.

Adjust the Transparency if needed (to make it less harsh).

Adjust the Rectangular Reflection so it is a little below the circular reflection.

18. Create a new layer and call it Bottom Right Shadow. Go to the layer Picture and with the magic wand set at 0% tolerance, select the outer parts and invert the selection.

On the layer Bottom Right Shadow, use the Ellipse Select tool set in subtract mode and make a small crescent selection in the bottom right corner. Fill it with black.

19. Select the picture again by using the magic wand at 0% tolerance and inverting the selection, then go to Bottom Right Shadow, and Gaussian Blur at 12.

20. Now for the Top Left Shadow. So make a new layer and name it that. Then repeat step 18, except make a larger crescent selection, but in the top left corner.

Then repeat step 19, but Gaussian Blur at 30.

21. Time to make it look "inset." Make a new layer, and call it Inset Dark. Using the ellipse tool at Draw Shape Outline and a pixel width of 15,

draw a circle that partly covers the edges of your picture.

22. Duplicate the layer and name the duplicate Inset Light. Use Brightness and Contrast to turn this circle white.

23. Use a transparency linear gradient from the bottom right corner of your canvas to the top left of your canvas.

After a resize (to smooth out the edges a little), and a little more adjustment, here was my finished product:

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

It's beautiful. I'll have to try it sometime.

I'm from OneClick Wi-Fi, a Nintendo WFC community site.

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

If you don't have an IRC client, you can also access initialized IRC here.

Thanks guys!

Post your results when you get around to it!

:D

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Thanks, you too. :mrgreen:

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Nice result!

And thanks. :D:mtdew::mtdew::D

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Here's mine, took a long time:

scream.png

I'm from OneClick Wi-Fi, a Nintendo WFC community site.

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

If you don't have an IRC client, you can also access initialized IRC here.

Very nice result!

I'm surprised people could follow my tut, since it seems a little confusing to me (the way I wrote it).

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Wow. Simply wow. I had a huge idea, and now I will easily be able to create a model of it using PDN. Now, one more tut request: The swirls of paint in your sig :D

signature.png

Thanks for all the positive feedback. :mrgreen:

The paint swirls though are fairly easy, I will try and remake them soon.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Excellent tutorial! Keep 'em coming!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks! :P

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Ok.

I'll fix that right now.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Thanks Bugster! :P

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Yes , but im first working on new signature/avatar

and because you already got it in yours im not going to steal the idea :wink:

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

Ok, going back to the tut, I think i'll finish it soon :lol:

Edit: I did leave the shiny thing, didn't look good at my image..interfaceorbye9.png

Back.

i like the tutorial its a bit confusing , thats why my outcome is bad.

any help?

lolne4.png

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.