Explosion

Ben_R_R

definately a great tutorial :D

i mixed the exploding planet and explosion tutorials :?

not a bad effect but obviously if people play around can make decent images 8)

15601_1ce5706ac6eebeb88f4d28b4fa1d09b0

Grime Ain't Dead - Bring Back The Music - Wobbly Bass Going On Still

Here is my explosion: Except, its awesome blue!!!

Sorry if its a little big, I did it to match my screen resolution (1400x900):

http://h1.ripway.com/mrreno/ExplosionIce.png

Please comment!

Excellent as it is, not everyone uses a broadband connection, or has a large monitor. Thumbnail images larger than 800px on its largest side, please. Thanks.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Here are 3 projects that I done. The first image uses the tutorial as it is listed. The second image takes the tutorial a few steps further by duplicating the layer, and using Shape3D, Glow, and Zoom/Rotate on the bottom layer, and setting the top layer to Overlay. The third image is just an Inside/Out. :)

Edit: I tried to use the Attachments feature but the images wouldn't load for some reason. I hope these aren't too big, or that I'm not breaking image rules in any other way. If I am, I apologize and would appreciate some assistance in getting it corrected. :)

Explosion.jpg

Explosion1.jpg

Orb.png

Ok, Im fairly new to PDN and I was wondering if someone can help me understand some PDN language from this tutorial. I was doing good until I got to this part:

3} Duplicate layer

4} Top layer - Effects - Distort - Bulge +100

5} Bottom layer - Effects - Distort - Bulge -200

6} Top layer - Blend Mode - Xor

> I see where it says "Layers" when using PDN and where it says "Duplicate Later" then I click it, but I don't know how to apply steps 4, 5 and 6. How do I get to the Top Layer in order to apply the "Effects - Distort - Bulge +100", then how do I get to the Bottom layer to apply the "Effects - Distort - Bulge -200", then finally back to the Top Layer to apply the "Blend Mode - Xor"? I'm sure this is fairly easy for many of you, but like I said, I'm new and I'd like to learn more and I thought I'd practice with this tut, but just need a little help with this part :( thanx so much in advance for any help given.

Welcome to the forum ChitoDog! :)

After you duplicate the layer, you should look at your Layers Window, usually in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. If it isn't visible, hit F7 or go to the "Window" pulldown and look for it. You should see both layers in the window. The one on top is your top layer. The one beneath it is your bottom layer.

To get to the Blend mode for Xor, double click on the layer in the Layers window and use the pulldown found there.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanx a lot Dark Thoughts, I had totally forgotten that I had the Layers Window hidden since I first started tinkering with PDN, (bad idea lol). No wonder I was clueless all this time about layers. :oops: but thanx for pointing it out for me, was much appreciated. By the way, here's my sample and great tutorial, Ben_R_R thanx: :)

explosion_1.png

No problem. :) Being new to the PDN myself, I know how the layers can get tricky sometimes. ;)

Good looking explosion BTW. :)

Thanx again Dark Thoughts. I think I'm beginning to get addicted to PdN, I'm up till 6 am at times just trying out new effects :shock: lol Seems time goes by really fast when you enjoy the work you do. :)

Here's my try.

16611_c41932dc883c9e3cced60a51323c501b

I did a few things differently; First of all, instead of using the cloud render, I messed around with the Mandelbrot render and used that instead. Next, instead of the circular gradient, I used the cone gradient instead. To get rid of the point in the middle of the image, I smoothed it out using Macromedia Fireworks 8 :D

There's so much more that PDN can do than fireworks :D

Anyway, I think it turned out well.

• 1 month later...