Realistic Chrome Text

barkbark00

if u look at barkbark00's result u notice that he made a lot better :P

I think this is just because you are using a different size/style font. All the effect values/settings are only going to work exactly the same for the font size/style used in the tutorial. This tutorial is in place to give you an idea of how the effect was achieved. Custom fitting the effect to your particular font is where you need to play around with all the values/steps.

Hope this helps.

If you want to feel better about your results, try using the font I did (same size and style).

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

• 2 months later...

Honestly, this tutorial is over six months old and my perspective on what "realistic" is has changed a bit. I would almost be ashamed to see this effect touted as a "chrome" plugin...

They could call it the "shiny metal'ish" plugin. :D

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I still really like it. I tried to use it for the text in my sig. I figured that would look really cool. I couldn't get it to work. I think my text is too small and/or too oddly shaped. (I got un-lazy and changed the date on my sig! Thankfully, I saved my sig as a PDN so this was easy to do. I can't believe they changed the date. I'm excited.)

Hi. This is my signature. :)

Honestly, this tutorial is over six months old and my perspective on what "realistic" is has changed a bit. I would almost be ashamed to see this effect touted as a "chrome" plugin...

They could call it the "shiny metal'ish" plugin. :D

So.. You could make a plug-in? Just with a different name?

Hi. This is my signature. :)

• 1 month later...

One thing I have used this tutorial for is "gloss maps"

Instead of using TEXT, use an image, or part of an image.

When you have finished with the chrome steps (you might need to fiddle with your median filter and gaussian blur amounts depending on the size of your object),

Place the "gloss map" on top of the image in the correct location and set the gloss map layer properties to OVERLAY.

Adjust the layer transparency to your liking.

It works very well to put a sheen onto things that should have them. I've used it on armor, shields, cloth, anything that needs some gloss or shine added.

impactow4.png

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool! I don't care if it isn't chrome, it still looks cool.

I am finally going to use my marking criteria:

Usefulness: 4 (Can be used for just about anything, so long as it's blocky)

Readability: 5 (Perfect grammar, easy to read)

Uniqueness: 5 (Haven't seen anything like this)

Checkpoints: 2 (Need more so we know what we are doing with smaller text)

Personal Opinion: 4 (Cool and scalable, the basic idea can be used in many ways)

Total : 20/25

Not bad at all.

Here's mine:

bokudesuhs5.png

Okay, if you were using a smaller font size, the median blur should have still left you with gaps in the middle of the words. Then (hopefully the text is on a separate layer), then you do the drop shadows which gives it a sort of outline. Then you blur it to a whacky level, use the mask and boom! You get embossed looking text. So yeah, the drop shadows should change the appearance, but you need it to have a white backround, say, to see the difference. And the text must be on a layer with nothing else on it.

Hope that both helps and makes sense.

P.S. I may have missed steps in my bit up the top, so follow the tutorial at all times!