File Attributes

HankP

Greetings

SUMMARY: I want to be able to add/modify file attributes on my PDN files, to make it easier to sort and find files in WinFileExplorer.

WHY: I am working on an alt-history novel that will have probably 50-100 illustrations ... mostly maps.  The story spans hundreds of years, seven continents and LOTS of sub-regions.  I want to be able to sort the map directory by the Year of the map, or by the Continent, or by the sub-region or one of several other keys.  This will make it MUCH easier to find and work with the maps ... all of which are subject to modification as my story is developing.

DETAIL

When I right-click a PDN file and go to Details, it shows only a very, very small number of Attributes (Name, Type, Location, Size, DateCreated, DateModified and four others).  Compare, for instance, to a JPG file which displays about fifty Attributes ... most of which are blank for most files (f-stop, LensMaker, etc are blank for a JPG created in PDN for example).  So, are those 5-6 Attributes that I see in Details the ONLY Attributes that can be stored in a PDN file, or are others available?

If no others are even available, we can stop the inquiry, because there is nowhere to store the data that I want to use.  If others are available, how do I access them?

Lastly, does anyone know a good utility program for modifying file Attributes?   I have found SEVERAL utilities that let you change very basic stuff like "Date Last Accessed," but I cannot find a utility that lets you access more-esoteric Attributes (e.g. F-Stop on a photo file).

TIA

2 hours ago, HankP said:

So, are those 5-6 Attributes that I see in Details the ONLY Attributes that can be stored in a PDN file, or are others available?

Those are the only attributes (metadata) that Paint.NET provides to Windows Explorer, the format can store all of the same metadata as a JPEG file.

Note that Paint.NET does not currently have any method for users to edit the metadata that is stored in a PDN file.

2 hours ago, HankP said:

Lastly, does anyone know a good utility program for modifying file Attributes?   I have found SEVERAL utilities that let you change very basic stuff like "Date Last Accessed," but I cannot find a utility that lets you access more-esoteric Attributes (e.g. F-Stop on a photo file).

The best tool I know of is ExifTool.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Paint.NET does not currently provide .PDN metadata to Explorer. I'm hoping to add this when I revamp the .PDN file format itself, which will enable all sorts of things. Planning this for within the next year.

• Like 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

44 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Paint.NET does not currently provide .PDN metadata to Explorer. I'm hoping to add this when I revamp the .PDN file format itself, which will enable all sorts of things. Planning this for within the next year.

Cool.